Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

Ages of folk in Tech Companies

Found this on CyberHub, would love to see a mapping of Security industries.  Would also love to see the breakdown on who's doing what.....i.e. Software Development, Integration Testing, etc.

No alternative text description for this image

7 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@dcontesti   I wonder if this information is skewed, as a lot of people within my organisation within the list, are far older, and we are all driven by a growth mindset, self development and the opportunities that are offered to keep reinventing.  

Regards

Caute_cautim

Beads
Advocate I

Looking around my current client and you would be hard pressed to find anyone under say 35. Doubt you could find an 'Architect' under 45, so yeah I think the data has some bias or staffed by some inexperienced technologist.

My initial reaction was Facebook? They still going...? Then I caught myself.

- b/eads

AppDefects
Community Champion

Where's Boeing for software development?

CraginS
Defender I

Note it shows only median age and no distribution curve for any group.

Minimally informative.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

In my company the median age is probably late 20s, but there's a revolving door, in that they don't stay or advavce.  Technology is somewhat different with it's architects in their 40s and 50s and some support staff in their 60s.  Data scientists tend to be late 20s and Agile developers in their late 20s and 30s.  In InfoSec the ages range from new graduates in their 20s to staff of retirement age.  The company is 150 years old, so maybe the low median ages are a feature of younger tech companies.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
dcontesti
Community Champion

So, apologies.   Never ever start a message and get distracted by your 7 year old grandson who wants to play on the computer.....LOL silly me.

What I had intended to type:

Found this on CyberHub, would love to see a mapping of Security industries.  Would also love to see the breakdown on who's doing what.....i.e. Software Development, Integration Testing, etc.

In some of the more mature, larger organisations (mature is probably not the right word) we see that 1/2 the people are younger than 39 and half are older. In one company that I worked in the median age for IT workers (all facets) was actually 50 ish.  This was a company that did not have a high turn over in staff in IT so folks just stayed.  This began to cause issues when the 50 ish folk decided it was time to think about retiring and they had not passed the skills on to younger folk.

I personally think the chart would have been more useful had it provided a more detailed breakdown.  We keep hearing that there are thousands of jobs open in the Security Field, that would be more interesting to me.

Regards

d

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

The number of contacts I got about IBM z/OS RACF etc got ridiculous about 5 years ago.  Recruiters were after the people in my network of contacts with these skills.  I got pretty sick of saying, hey, they're retired and have no intention of returning to work from the last time we spoke.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS