cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isc2clack
Newcomer I

AWS or Azure

Hi,

I was looking for general views on which of the major cloud vendors people feel have the more robust, consistent security model?

Thanks

12 Replies
varun123sn
Viewer

Azure and AWS both have promising career opportunities and lead the market regarding revenue shares. But, AWS is the leader in the market, though Azure is a close second. While Azure can capture 30% of the need for cloud services, Azure finishes with 20%. This is because AWS began to gain acceptance before Azure did. But, Microsoft indeed prefers Azure while other companies lean towards AWS. While the market for Azure is higher at the moment but it's impossible to tell who will be the leader in the market as both companies operate on the same level.
It is recommended to choose your career path based on the kind of business you are planning to enter and the kind of experience in technology you possess. Because of the popularity of AWS, AWS seems like the best option. However, it's not that easy as that because there is no way to predict who will be the leader in the market. If you want to pursue a good career within the Cloud and Cloud-based services, then AWS is your best choice. However, if you are toward Data Analytics and Machine Learning and Machine Learning, then Azure is the best choice. Both offer promising careers as long as you are knowledgeable about the subject. A superficial understanding will not help you much in either of these companies as market leaders. AWS is the safer option at present, as it has maintained the top place on the market for an extended period and is likely to hold this position in the future.

JoePete
Advocate I

@isc2clack wrote:

I was looking for general views on which of the major cloud vendors people feel have the more robust, consistent security model?

This is a massively open-ended question and can vary greatly depending on the type of cloud service you need/use. I don't think security lies in the macro details of either one but how well you, as the consumer, understand the fine details of what the service provider will do and what's your responsibility. That will vary within each vendor depending on service level and type. With the cloud, you replace system admins with "service analysts" (or some such thing) who know the SLAs and SOC reports inside and out and address the gaps. You also need to really focus on your users and ensure they understand data classification, permissions, and good authentication practices. 

The analogy I use is the cloud is a glass apartment building. Depending on your wants and your service provider's capabilities, it may be completely furnished or empty, it may have a cleaning service or no maintenance at all, maybe there is a doorman or maybe there is none at all. But above everything else, you gotta remind your users not to walk around in their underwear.

komalrai
Viewer

Intresting