Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

A Social Dilemma

Has anyone watched The Social Dilemma in Netflix yet? Here is their description, "documentary-drama hybrid explores the dangerous human impact of social networking, with tech experts sounding the alarm on their own creations". 

I've found it highly informative and entertaining in a way. For example, they talk about different social media platforms using notifications, rewards, and gamification to keep users coming back or staying on longer. The entertaining part for me is trying to find those elements in the sites that I use. 

Which elements of gamification in the (ISC)2 Community can you find? 

Does the Kudos button give you the dopamine hit your brain desires?

In an evil twisted turn of events, what can the (ISC)2 Community do differently or add to make it more addictive?

10 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

@tmekelburg1 I have not heard of this but did put it in my list... might get back to you after I watch it..

John-

CraginS
Defender I

@tmekelburg1 wrote:

Has anyone watched The Social Dilemma in Netflix yet? ...

For an important, serious, and well thought out discussion on the psychological and social damage that social media can cause, check out Jaron Lanier's Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

Jaron's page has many links to videos and articles and reviews on his book and its ideas.

My favorite exposition of Jaron on this book is his June 2018 appearance recorded by BookTV (C-SPAN on weekends), which includes interludes of musical performances by Jaron on his exotic world instruments with his band. His discussion on Skinnerian conditioning as applied to social media is excellent.

Here is the Amazon page to order the book.

If you have not run into Jaron yet, be prepared for one of the most amazing geniuses of the 21st century. I highly recommend this book and many of his others.

Side note: given the current publicity about a recent, highly repulsive release from Netflix, I would not open an account just to see the recommended Netflix production.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

@tmekelburg1 wrote:

Has anyone watched The Social Dilemma in Netflix yet? ...

For an important, serious, and well thought out discussion

I can tell this is important to you and I may have struck a chord for making light of a serious situation. I have school age kids of my own and can say firsthand how big of an issue it is. That doesn't mean we can't all take ourselves a little less seriously every now and then. My OP would have been completely different if I was posting in an Academic thread, while discussing the latest research in the field.

Side note: given the current publicity about a recent, highly repulsive release from Netflix, I would not open an account just to see the recommended Netflix production.

I wouldn't recommend opening up a Netflix account either just to see one documentary, so we both can agree there. I would also like to think that we both would agree on the negative side effects of Social Media on kids and adults being more main stream and well known would be a good thing, regardless of the platform it was streaming on. Maybe this is the catalyst that gets more people into the discussion?

Thanks for the extra resources provided.

rslade
Influencer II

> tmekelburg1 (Newcomer III) posted a new topic in Tech Talk on 09-11-2020 03:23

>     Which elements of gamification in the (ISC)2 Community can you find?

Well, the random nature of whether or not the CPE entry or AMF payment
works springs to mind ...

> Does the Kudos button give you the dopamine hit your brain desires?

Visions of old security professionals shambling along the back alleys of social
media, looking for their next kudo hit ...

> In an evil
> twisted turn of events, what can the (ISC)2 Community do differently or add to
> make it more addictive?

To make something more additicive, there has to be a reward, although it should
be applied randomly and as seldom as possible. (The more infrequent the reward,
the more resistant the addiction is to extinction.) ISC2 has the "random" and
"infrequent" parts down cold, but there is a huge lack of anything that actually
provides a reward ...

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@gmail.com rmslade@outlook.com rslade@computercrime.org
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@rslade wrote:
> tmekelburg1 (Newcomer III) posted a new topic in Tech Talk on 09-11-2020 03:23

>     Which elements of gamification in the (ISC)2 Community can you find?

Well, the random nature of whether or not the CPE entry or AMF payment
works springs to mind ...

Lol, he said what he said Folks. I've had pretty good luck so far, so I can't complain...yet. I'll pick the leveling up of people based on the number of posts posted. The goal of Community Champion is that gamification aspect. 

Visions of old security professionals shambling along the back alleys of social
media, looking for their next kudo hit ...

Thanks for sharing your visual. I'm assuming they're wearing hoodies as well? Here's your Kudos hit from me. 

To make something more addictive, there has to be a reward, although it should
be applied randomly and as seldom as possible. (The more infrequent the reward,
the more resistant the addiction is to extinction.) ISC2 has the "random" and
"infrequent" parts down cold, but there is a huge lack of anything that actually
provides a reward ...

(ISC)2 should develop an App that makes it easier to get to the platform. Linking the app with your phone biometrics would speed up authentication. Right now, I have to enter my username, password, and 2FA option to sign into the Community part of the website. Also enable full post editing options that the mobile version lacks. Make it easier for us dopamine junkies to view their rewards!

ericgeater
Community Champion

Very good book.  Quite philosophical.  And a highly recommended read.  I felt like it should be mentioned here too, and I'm glad you already did.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
ericgeater
Community Champion

I think the badges are silly here, but that's my only complaint.  There's an underlying reason why, however:

I consider myself an "accidental CISSP", because I needed a leg up on understanding a vulnerability assessment.  Our company inexplicably paid for one, and they dropped responsibility of its wholesale interpretation into my lap.  I started reading about security certs, and the CISSP seemed interesting... so I started a nine-month-long self-study.  Reading books for CPEs seemed like an efficient way to catch up on the cybersecurity disciplines, which means I've got lots of head data -- yet still relatively little trench knowledge.

I like to ask many questions here because I am still filling in knowledge gaps.  For many of you, cybersecurity has been a mainstay.  In my case, it scared the bejeezus out of me because Adam Gordon's CBK read like a Stephen King novel: frightening, exhilarating and enthralling all at once.

The badges won't improve my knowledge here.  Just like there are some CPEs which won't improve my knowledge here.  I'm like Carl Sagan, because "I want to know."

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

check out Jaron Lanier's Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

I'll have to read this too, I saw it at the book store but just kept browsing past. To be fair, it was in the same section as the (Insert your topic here) For Dummies books. Jaron was in the documentary as well talking about what he came across while researching the topic. Hopefully it will be shared on other platforms so you can check it out.  

jmikesmith
Newcomer III

@tmekelburg1 wrote:

@CraginS wrote:

check out Jaron Lanier's Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

I'll have to read this too, I saw it at the book store but just kept browsing past. To be fair, it was in the same section as the (Insert your topic here) For Dummies books. Jaron was in the documentary as well talking about what he came across while researching the topic. Hopefully it will be shared on other platforms so you can check it out.  

I've read the book. It's good, but not an easy read, and not totally convincing. See my Goodreads review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2656026436.

Mike