Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chuxing
Community Champion

GDPR and Brexit

I am developing online courses on IT governance and management, and I'd like to add some footnotes on what Brexit might impact on GDPR. I have done researches already, but would like our British colleagues to share some of their perspectives.

Please, NO politics, just the potential impact, or not.

Community Champion

There's no real need to give any personal perspectives as you can read the paper the UK Government published here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/6398...

In summary, the GDPR will be enacted into UK law.

Even if there is a change of government by the time Brexit finally happens, I can't see the new government wanting to change these particular plans.

Of course, the UK legislature could choose to make changes to the UK version of the law later down the line, but they're unlikely to do anything that would mean it's no longer aligned to the GDPR, and any changes would most likely be so that it continues to be in alignment.

Chuxing
Community Champion

@AlecTrevelyan 

Thanks. As I said, I have done my research, and am fully aware of the official positions. But, since I do not live and work in GB, I don’t have my fingers on the pulse. Thus I do like to learn from those who breathing the IT air there what they know firsthand.

Knowledge is not what you read, it is what you learn...

I work as a vCISO for a UK company and am additionally responsible for its GDPR strategy.

There is no indication that anything will change. GDPR was put into law and replaced former privacy regulation.

There is always a chance that future governments will reconsider their position but at this point it is extremely unlikely that this will happen in regards to GDPR.

Cheers,

Wim

Sic semper tyrannis.
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@Chuxing wrote:

@AlecTrevelyan 

Thanks. As I said, I have done my research, and am fully aware of the official positions. But, since I do not live and work in GB, I don’t have my fingers on the pulse. Thus I do like to learn from those who breathing the IT air there what they know firsthand.

Knowledge is not what you read, it is what you learn...

Given there is an official position on GDPR post Brexit, why would anyone with any sense have a differing perspective on how things will pan out?

The EU has forced many, many stupid laws on its citizens which currently includes those in the UK. (Look into Commission Regulation (EC) No. 2257/94 - the bendy banana law - for an example.) However, the GDPR is one of the better ones, and the UK was central to its creation. As stated, this law will definitely be kept post Brexit so there will be no change.

Just to clarify I am from the UK, and reside and work in the UK - I wouldn't have responded to your request if I wasn't.

Maybe this information somehow adds credence to my previous post to the point you now consider it worthy from which to learn...

rslade
Influencer II

> Chuxing (Community Champion) posted a new topic in GDPR on 03-18-2019 10:49 AM

>   I am developing online courses on IT governance and management, and I'd like
> to add some footnotes on what Brexit might impact on GDPR.

Generally, I think the most common position among serious analysts in the privacy field is:

Run away! Run away!

(Sorry. I've been helping at B|Sides for the past three days and I'm currently
decompressing and trying to catch up.)

More pertinently, like the privacy directives before it, GDPR relies (somewhat) on the various member states passing legislation matching the GDPR document. I rather doubt that Britain has had time/energy to do that (per a previous reply). However until Britain actually, formally, leaves, they may still be subject to laws that *have* been passed in other member states, and, even after (if?) there are those "transmission is forbidden" provisions that would tend to make them want to pass something fairly GDPR-like fairly soon.

But, as I said when GDPR first came out, if you read the stuff carefully, it really only says you should do what you should have been doing anyway ...

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468