cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Facial Recognition are we ready?

HI All

Are we ready for Facial Recognition and the consequences?  What happens if the organisations then apply Artificial Intelligence, to analyse potential criminals or apply biased filters?  Are there consequences>  How will privacy laws cover these as more and more organisations look for different approaches to entice customers and their shopping choices? 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018848166/facial-recognition-s-creep-int...

Regards

Caute_Cautim

4 Replies
DonBanziani
Newcomer I

More and more industries are using / implementing Facial Recognition in Canada. But, we (public) are not often warned about this usage ! And this is a big challenge...
dcontesti
Community Champion

Sorry but Orwell's 1984 comes to mind.  For those who do not know it, here's a wiki link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four)

Not sure what this does to privacy laws?  My face is something I own, so depending what they do with the information they collect, they MAY be breaking a few laws and we will never know.

Here is an article regarding the use of Facial Recognition and the fact that it did violate Canada's privacy laws (article from 2021).  The police do not agree with the report)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-clearview-ai-1.6060228

I suspect that we all knew it was only a matter of time.  A number of airports have used this tech for years.

Time to get out my Guy Fawkes mask (LOL)

d

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@dcontestiIt is about time the public were fully informed and made aware, rather than drifting around in a sleepy accept everything modus operandi. 

Have people simply fallen asleep the implications are scary as you say.  And if you want to wear the Guy Fawkes mask, it just makes you stand out of the crowd even more.

Especially as the US and UK just signed an agreement to shared Biometric data with each other and they promise to only hold the data for 3 years.  Believe that if you wish....

Where is the Human Rights in all this, no one was informed, it was done at Government level, and the public was definitely not informed.  It appears the world is moving so fast, and people are totally oblivious to what is happening around them.

By the time the lawyers wake up, it might be too late to reverse.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@dcontestiYour suggestion is not as mad as you suggest.  A University has been running experiments on such technology and they actually have come up with different variations of mask, to see how well they protect peoples identities. 

Unfortunately the Supermarkets have now cotton on, and it is highly likely more issues will arise,to promote their wares and attract customers to certain brands etc.

I notice also that the Government Transport are very interested too, to identify people who flout the rules of the road, in particular the usage of mobile devices whilst driving.

Regards

Caute_Cautim