Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Del
Newcomer III

Anyone else seeing "Data Removal Request" mailshots?

Hi there ... I'm looking for your thoughts & wisdom on this.

In the last two weeks, I've seen a bunch of emails with the same Subject and Body Text .. only the email addresses change.

The Subject is always "Data Removal Request"

The Body Text is always

"I hereby withdraw my consent for you to collect, process or store any personal data related to name@emailprovider.com

I request that you delete any and all data related to, and belonging to name@emailprovider.com that your company stores, pursuant to my rights under Article 17 GDPR.

Thank you!"

These requests have covered emails from a variety of free email providers, gmail.com, gmail.fr, hotmail.com ... which makes me think there is a system or service out there generating these emails on behalf of individuals ... possibly for a nominal fee 🙂

Of the 20 or so emails we've seen, only a handful of the emails are actually customers / users of our service ... which makes me think the system or service sending these emails is generating mailshots and firing them out to a range of service providers like my company

Anyone else seen this?

I'm going to work through the email headers to see if there are any clues ... but I thought it was worth posting here in case anyone else is in the same position as me 🙂

42 Replies
someone
Newcomer I

So Phase II is here - below the requests (60%+ from not existing users) is a link to their "business" proposition, $199 per month

Del
Newcomer III

Yeah, I spotted that last week, meant to post here about it.

The numbers of emails had dropped a lot, maybe one or two a week.

They've updated their text ...

"Please note that I am not looking for instructions on how to delete my account, I want you to delete all my data due to this request.

Thank you!

Sent via deseat.me, visit deseat.me/business to automate the handling of removal requests."

If you visit the page, there's a business option @ 199 per month, and also an Enterprise option, with no fixed price

While I wish them well ... I don't see this as a viable business. Who would be a paying customer?

wakatime
Viewer

I've automated replying to these emails so they're filtered and never hit my Inbox:

https://wakatime.com/blog/35-how-to-automate-responding-to-gdpr-data-removal-request-emails