Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

date range for rollover CPEs

Hi, I was awarded my CISSP on February 23, 2018.  I am only 1.5 hours away from meeting the 3-yr cycle's CPE minimum.  I'd like to figure out the exact 6-month range (date to date) within the current cycle, such that CPEs earned within that date range are eligible for rollover to my next (Feb2021-Feb2024) cycle.

Is that range August 24 2020 to February 22 2021?

If not, can you define the exact date range for me?

Thanks,

Wayne

6 Replies
Kaity
Community Manager

Hello @davidwaynemills - CPEs need to be earned within the certification cycle you apply them towards. CPEs earned during the current membership cycle cannot be applied to your next membership cycle. 

Here is the handbook for reference https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx

davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

Not true.  See 

https://www.isc2.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions.

Q: How many CPEs can be rolled over annually?
A: CPEs can rollover from the third year to the first year (of the new three-year cycle) if earned in excess of the minimum requirement within the last six months of the cycle.

• For CISSP: up to 40 Group A CPEs
  • For CCSLP and CCSP: up to 30 Group A CPEs
  • For SSCP, CAP and HCISPP: up to 20 Group A CPEs

So rollover IS allowed, and my question remains. 

Is my exact-date definition of 6 months (defined in terms of my anniversary date) accurate?

thanks

Wayne

davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

Even in the handbook:

Rollover CPEs
CPE rollover credits are limited to the number of recommended annual CPEs each year for that
credential, and must be earned within the last six months of the three-year certification cycle, in
excess of the required CPE credits for that certification. For example, a CISSP may only roll over
up to 40 Group A CPEs (in excess of the required 120 CPE credits) if they were earned within the
final 6 months of the previous three-year certification cycle. These rollover CPEs will be eligible to
satisfy the annual recommended CPEs for the first year of the next certification cycle. Note that
there is no rollover provision for Group B credits.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

That's a direct quote from the CPE handbook.

I had CPEs rolled over from my last 3 year certification cycle that were earned in the last six months.  So unless ISC2 aren't keeping their handbook up to date or think it appropriate to have undisclosed rules then I think you'd be pretty safe expecting a roll over.  However they did charge us all 2 membership fees in 1 year so I wouldn't hold my breath.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

[Member Support contacted me via email to finally give me the answer I needed.  I am pasting the salient parts of that conversation here, so that this community thread also contains the answer.  There are 3 parts: original reply from Marc, my response, and his final response with answer.  -- Wayne]

For the CPE credits that are eligible for Rollover, these credits must have been completed within the last 6 months of the 3-year cycle over the 120 credits required for the certification. For example, if you already have the 120 credits, which you are pretty close to earning, you would need to wait until 6 months prior to your expiration date, 02/28/2021, to start earning more CPEs. The maximum rollover credits you can earn is 40 CPEs. You can start to earn these credits from 09/01/2020 up until the 02/28/2021 expiration date.

The ambiguity lies with determining the first earned CPE date of that six month period.  I interpret “6 months prior to 2/28/2021” to be 8/28/2020.  So, suppose I take an 8-credit class on 8/28/2020, and I have 1.5 hours left on this cycle, meaning I have 6.5 excess credits.   Will those 6.5 credits, earned on 8/28, count toward the next 3-yr cycle beginning 2/20/2021?

The 6 months prior to 02/28/2021 would be 09/01/2020 as it is based on the actual months and not the amount of days “6 months” would be equivalent to.

Based on your example, you would have an excess of 6.5 credits over the 120, however they would not be eligible for rollover. Your date range to earn rollover CPEs to the maximum of 40 credits is from 09/01/2020 to 02/28/2021 for your cycle starting on 03/01/2021.

emb021
Advocate I

"Hi, I was awarded my CISSP on February 23, 2018. I am only 1.5 hours away from meeting the 3-yr cycle's CPE minimum. I'd like to figure out the exact 6-month range (date to date) within the current cycle, such that CPEs earned within that date range are eligible for rollover to my next (Feb2021-Feb2024) cycle.

Is that range August 24 2020 to February 22 2021?"

Keep in mind the period starts the NEXT month, and go to the end of the next period.  So if you were awarded on Feb 23, 2018, the official period started March 1, 2018 thru February 28, 2021, NOT February 22, 2021.

So the six months would be September 1 2020 to Feb 28 2021.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow