Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Unreadable Text Boxes on Community Pages - Contrast Error

A note for Amanda @amandavanceISC2 or Samantha @SamanthaO_isc2 to have the Community site designers review guidelines on color choices for text and backgrounds on web pages to ensure readability. Then immediately stop using the white text on yellow background notification boxes that recently appeared on Community pages. The low contrast difference on those boxes makes them unreadable. 

I have a screenshot of one such instance to illustrate, but the current lack of a photo capability in the community prevents me from sharing it here. See Photos, photo/image uploads, avatars ...

As for web page usability guides, I highly recommend making the entire (ISC)2 set of web sites fully compatible with the U.S. government's Section 508 IT Usability guidelines. While the Section 508 requirements apply by law only to US federal government IT systems and sites, they are an excellent basis for making all web sites usable by the maximum proportion of the community.

Thanks,

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
4 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

One way to generate an example is to click "New Post" or "Reply", enter a few words and then allow it to sit for 30 minutes (15 minutes is not enough) or so with no attention.  Eventually, the auto-saving will begin failing with an error message consisting of white letters on a yellow background. While waiting, an  "Autosaved at...." message will be displayed that I find about equally difficult to read.  

rslade
Influencer II

> CraginS (Contributor III) posted a new topic in Member Support on 11-04-2018 09:06 AM in the (ISC)² Community :

>  Then immediately stop using
> the white text on yellow background notification boxes that recently
> appeared on Community pages.

What's ironic is that most of the time these boxes seem to be promoting events and activities ISC2 wants to push.

>     I have a screenshot of one such instance to
> illustrate, but the current lack of a photo capability in the community
> prevents me from sharing it here.

If you've got a Pinterest, Flickr, Instagram or other picture sharing account (even Twitter) a workaround might be to post the image there, and then post the image URL into the editor.  I've found that to work in a couple of cases.  Bit of a kludge, but, in an emergency ...

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Thank you all for bringing this to our attention. I will look into the colors that we use and see what can be done to try to improve the contrast so that they can be easily read. 

Just to note here as well, if you wanted to send the screenshot directly to me to take a look (I am pretty sure I know which places you are talking about, but it is always good to confirm). You can email me directly at soconnor@isc2.org. 

Thanks, 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
CraginS
Defender I

@SamanthaO_isc2 wrote:

You can email me directly at soconnor@isc2.org. 

Thank you. I sen my screencap as a PNG file a little while ago.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts