Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcnj
Newcomer I

Unable to login via Internet Explorer

Anyone else having issues logging into the member site using Internet Explorer?

Ever since the recent changes, I'm not able to login.   Chrome/Firefox are fine.

12 Replies
rslade
Influencer II

> mcnj (Newcomer I) posted a new topic in Member Support on 12-13-2018 11:52 AM in

> Anyone else having issues logging into the member site using Internet Explorer?

Ummmm, no. I probably *do* have a machine around here somewhere that would
run Internet Explorer, but, other than as an academic curiosity, why?

>   Ever since the recent changes, I'm not able to login.   Chrome/Firefox are
> fine.

Why are you even trying to sign on with IE? I mean, seriously. You're a security
expert (or, if you are here, are supposed to be). If I was running a Website and
knew you were using IE I might forbid you, too ...

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@computercrime.org
Without software, a computer is just a lump of plastic; whereas
*with* software, it's a lump of plastic that can permanently
destroy critical data. - Dave Barry
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
https://is.gd/RotlWB

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Can you try another browser such as Microsoft Edge?  Try clearing any cache or browser history, which may unclog Internet Explorer.  A question of diagnostic engineering to work out where the fault lies.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

mcnj
Newcomer I

@rslade - IE is the standard approved browser at my employer. Besides, when one develops a website, they should make sure it works on all current browsers. To my knowledge, IE is not retired yet 🙂

@Caute_cautim Edge, Chrome, Firefox all work fine. I have tried IE from multiple systems, same issue. Once you enter your email address in the form field box and click the password form field, the username disappears. It's visible if you click back in the form field. However, once you hit submit, nothing happens
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@mcnj wrote:
@rslade- IE is the standard approved browser at my employer. Besides, when one develops a website, they should make sure it works on all current browsers. To my knowledge, IE is not retired yet 🙂

@Caute_cautimEdge, Chrome, Firefox all work fine. I have tried IE from multiple systems, same issue. Once you enter your email address in the form field box and click the password form field, the username disappears. It's visible if you click back in the form field. However, once you hit submit, nothing happens

I found this link:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/17454/lifecycle-faq-internet-explorer

"Customers had until January 12, 2016, to upgrade their browser after which time the previous versions of Internet Explorer reached end of support. End of support means there are no more security updates, non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates."  So is it in the best interests of the organisation to keep running a browser which is end of support, with no further security updates etc?  It appears to be a legacy system, which needs to be replaced - which could be a detriment to the organisation.  Well on the surface it may appear to be.

Regards

Caute_cautim

mcnj
Newcomer I

It's running Windows 10 with latest IE. It's not a risk and not the solution to this issue.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@mcnj wrote:

It's running Windows 10 with latest IE. It's not a risk and not the solution to this issue.

@mcnj. It sounds like a question of gathering the evidence and having the patience to go through a support call or certainly raise it as an issue with them directly.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

denbesten
Community Champion

@Caute_cautim, the quote you supplied requires a bit more context...

What is the Lifecycle Policy for Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer is a component of the Windows operating system and follows the Lifecycle Policy for the product on which it is installed. [...]  Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system receives technical support and security updates, as shown in the following table:

Windows Desktop Operating Systems  Internet Explorer Version
 Windows Vista SP2 * Internet Explorer 9
 Windows 7 SP1 Internet Explorer 11
 Windows 8.1 Update Internet Explorer 11
 Windows 10** Internet Explorer 11

[...]

What happens if customers did not move to the latest browser by the end of support on January 12, 20...

Customers had until January 12, 2016, to upgrade their browser after which time the previous versions of Internet Explorer reached end of support. End of support means there are no more security updates, non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates.

Basically, Microsoft is saying those running Windows 7 will no longer receive support or maintenance for Internet Explorer 8, 9 or 10 and that the solution is to upgrade to IE11, which is supported on Win7 and was released through their normal "patch Tuesday" servicing cycles.

Since @mcnj reports that Edge works properly, we know he is running Win10 and therefore we also know his Internet Explorer is version 11 because that is the only IE ever released for Win10.  Although there are no assurances that @mcnj is current on his maintenance, we do know that he is not fatally behind.

I think we can all agree with Microsoft's sentiment that staying current on maintenance is an important security control, independent of how much one may like or dislike a particular piece of software, the company, or their policies.  Even Krebs agrees.

@mcnj hit the nail on the head with his comment, "[...] when one develops a website, they should make sure it works on all current browsers [...]" .  Reporting this incorrect behavior is the correct answer. Tagging @amandavanceISC2 to ensure this gets noticed and reported to the proper personnel.

About the only thing I could add to what @mcnj already provided is to include the browser and OS version strings to maximize the chance of reproducing the problem.  I can reproduce @mcnj's symptoms using IE 11.471.17134.0 on Windows 10 version 1802 (build 17134.471).

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

It sounds and feels like a self-fulfilling prophesy. 

Perhaps Quantum Chemistry would resolve it quicker and provide greater insights.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

mcnj
Newcomer I

I must be running IE6 on Windows 98 Smiley Frustrated

I "collected the evidence" before creating this thread. I planned on opening a support ticket, but figured I'd post it here first to share with the community.  I'm pretty sure I have the troubleshooting part down. I didn't need my CISSP for that 😉

@denbesten thanks for testing.  I'm running Windows 10 (1803), IE 11.285.17134.0