Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DivyaNangia
Newcomer I

Passed CISSP....Journey Continues

17 Replies
CISOScott
Community Champion

A cert alone will not get you a job. You have to have experience. You also have to have good interview skills. I have applied to many jobs over the course of my career. Sometimes it took many applications just to get to the interview stage. Once I got to the interview stage I was usually able to sell myself enough to get the job. In the beginning though, I struggled, How good are your interview skills? Most people do not practice them and it shows when they get interviewed. As a hiring manager I have seen many people with good skills, interview poorly and not get offered the job. I have also seen many people applying for jobs which were a reach based on their skills, and some were not even qualified for entry level positions but applied anyway.

Is your resume strong in other skills? It seems like college students who are graduating have the same problem, lots of knowledge but little practical experience. What have you done to gain experience?

Baechle
Advocate I

Ken,

Divya passed and has the CISSP and therefore at least 4 years of experience to account for.  It certainly sounds as though its a problem with skills/requirements matching in the resume or interviewing.

Eric B.

canLG0501
Newcomer III

Most certainly I would say that the CISSP is enough.  I would encourage you to not give up on the field entirely.  Keep in mind that positions become available in seasons in certain areas.  Try to determine the best hiring months for your area and make sure that your resume and application letter are updated.  Include other management related courses that you have taken on your resume and focus on a specific industry where you interested in working.  I am sure you will find something soon.

vt100
Community Champion

Divya,

Some of the traits of good security professional are, in my opinion, persistence and perseverance.

It's a trying occupation and should you eventually succeed in landing a job in this field, these qualities will be absolutely indispensable.

The motto for the OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional), for instance, is "Try Harder" and their certification challenge lasts 24 hours.

CISSPs may not need to prove themselves within same time-frame to qualify, but the challenges that we are facing are oftentimes tougher and are not limited in time.

If you like this field of work, make a splash: participate in professional forums, write articles, share knowledge and advise when you are certain in its value.

Certification, while important, is seldom sufficient by itself, but the knowledge you have acquired in pursuing it and the experience that led you to it, are.

In the end, all of us have a choice of trying harder or walking away.

Decide what you want to do.

murthib
Viewer II

Hi Divya,

Which location you are in?

We are looking for security professionals in Chennai / Banglore.

thanks,

Murthi

DivyaNangia
Newcomer I

I have 5 years of exp in Network security just that I am off work for 4 years now taking care of kids...and trying to get back to work hence chose CISSP to return

DivyaNangia
Newcomer I

Iam in New jersey, US
DivyaNangia
Newcomer I

I have 5 years of exp in Network security just that I am off work for 4 years now taking care of kids...and trying to get back to work hence chose CISSP to return
Baechle
Advocate I

Divya,

@DivyaNangiawrote:

Where are you getting stuck?

Are you not even getting invited to an interview?  Or are you not getting the offer after an interview?