cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveLavoie
Newcomer III

New exam format for CISSP

Hi,

I have seen a few rumor on some website telling that there will be a new CISSP exam format from December?

It would be based on a new adaptative format.

Can someone confirm this?

21 Replies
Charlynz
Newcomer I

Hi, yes sure, I went for the prepared for the 6 hour exam on Monday and it ended up being 3 hours which was a surprise ! I would say do the first 100 questions very carefully, as you can’t go back and it also dictates how many further questions you need to answer ( between 1 and 50). I spent a good two hours on the 100 questions to make sure I gave it my focus and then my best answer. I was also concerned I hadn’t studied the right content also, but it is all the same. 

RobinW
Newcomer I

The New computerize adaptive test (CAT) replaced the linear test for the English version on 18 Dec 2017

If you really want to take the old format and are quite comfortable with one of the foreign languages the CISSP is offered in, then you could still do the 250 question 6 hr beast.

Really though, odds are if you are reading an English forum you are probably best off just rolling with the new CAT format.

I took and passed the CAT version on 23 Dec.

It was definitely still a mental challenge, but cuts out the physical stamina feat that a 6 hr exam presents.

Don't expect to have learned everything you need know in a boot camp.  They are very good for helping to strengthen the threads of memory for seldom used topics and help start a framework for the areas that are outside your domain expertise, but are only a partial solution to a preparation plan.

Much of exam had me falling back to my years of experience in addition to that which I picked up from classes.

Good Luck

BasmaBasem
Viewer

Hello
Could you please share resources you have studied from ?
RobinW
Newcomer I

I used the the official (ISC)2 CBK Book and

The Shon Harris book with question sets. (may she rest in peace)

As I understand the updated book is still mostly her material the new editor just added in the new material to reflect the modern environment.

The bootcamp I attended was really helpful for refocusing the knowledge that I didn't use very often to the front of my mind.

Skillport's CISSP training is really about the same as a bootcamp useful but definitely not a sole source of study.  I liked having recorded material that I could play as I did other tasks. However, bear in mind that is a reinforce knowledge technique not a learn new material technique.

When taking practice tests. take the results to show areas of weakness to be where to concentrate your readings. Don't just learn the answer to the question, if you do that you are just wasting the value of practice tests.

Bayshob
Contributor I

Its true. Its now about 100. Depending on the person's skill and knowledge. It could be a little more than 100

Bayshob
Contributor I

The new format seem good. Why not try again? 

Charlynz
Newcomer I

Hi

I used Shon Harris as well, also found some online lectures through work and LinkedIn from people who have sat the exam, did lots of test exams, and in the the last week found the '11th hour CISSP study guide' which was recommended by a friend to be invaluable.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Charlotte
Alcarmad
Viewer

Took the test today but had no idea there were only 100 questions. At a little over an hour and 20 minutes, as I was rushing to finish 250 questions in 3 hours, I completed the 100th question and was presented with “test complete” to my shock and dismay having rushed needlessly through the previous 20 or so questions. Thank God I passed.
I studied multiple sources including Shon Harris’ CISSP all in one. I also completed roughly 1500 practice questions on-line. About 50% of the questions we’re familiar based on prep. The other 50% I could reduce to 2 right choices, so I was not confident when I was told the test was over. It took a lot of synthesis of concepts and sheer gut instinct to answer many of the questions. I was happily surprised I passed but had spent 5 months studying so probably prepared enough.
kratzy11
Newcomer II

Is there a plan to roll out this new format to non-English exams in the future? And will, based on feedback, the exam revert to the old format? I am just curious as a non-native English speaker as to how the change was tested and whether feedback will be considered from English-test takers in determining whether this new format is a win or not.

This may be a good thing, but not having experienced such an exam, I am not sure how the software considers ethnic background, English ability etc.

Kaity
Community Manager

Congrats! 100 is the minimum # of Qs you can take on the CAT exam - 150 is the max.