Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Landin_Comins
Newcomer I

(ISC)2 as a commodity: A new guy question

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but if not, I'm sure many of us are wondering:

What strategic steps is (ISC)2 taking to ensure that the CISSP certification does not become the next CompTIA? There is apparently room to grow the community (and need), but there must be a way to accomplish this in such a way that does not end up diminishing the brand. The CISSP badge is a commodity and is subject to supply and demand pressure. Once the scale is tipped, it is over.

So the question I have is- which direction are we headed and how do we get to affect that direction, if at all?

3 Replies
Ben_Malisow
Contributor II

This will be a GREAT question for the ISC2 rep who will be hosting a chat here next week. Just got a message about it today:

"We're having a "virtual event" called Inside (ISC)² where leadership from our org will be available for a sort of "Ask Me Anything" session. Jessica Hardy, director of Customer Experience, is first up next Wednesday, 1/31 at 1pm EST."

If you have the opportunity, you should definitely pose that question to Jessica next week. I'm eager to see her response, too. Nicely done.

Ravenshroud
Newcomer III

Certifications mean a lot of different things to different people.

As an IT manager and Director I looked for people who were continually growing and pursuing goals.  The CISSP, due to experience requirements, surpasses the basic requirements for other security certifications right off the bat.  Requiring a sponsor and an ethics clause also raises the bar significantly.

All certificates are nonetheless commodities.  They tell me nothing about soft skills, communications, maturity, and character, with some exception, of the individual.  

Q. The more important question to me is does having more ISC2 certs mean more than having just the CISSP?

A. I absolutely do not think it does, on the face of it, other than for the continued growth piece.  But it also depends if you are trying to hire an analyst, a manager, or an architect.

I would hire an active CISSP in the community, in their professional associations and memberships, in their research and pursuit of knowledge before I would hire and ACRONYM master. (And that's given that I have amassed 74 professional certs)

Certs get you an interview.  Experience, professionalism, and character get you hired.

tomnohs
Newcomer I

Very well put.  Excellent.  I hope you don't mind if I use your quote...