Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

IM Name Options in Community Profiles

Have you looked into your Profile settings here in the (ISC)2 Community?

One page allows you to share your screen names on several instant messenger (IM) systems. 

Did the designers of this page stop paying attention to IM system options ten years ago?

Here are the choices:

ICQ number
AIM screen name
MSN Messenger screen name
Yahoo ID
Skype name

[There is no option to list "Other" systems with user-defined system names.] 

Let's examine that list.

ICQ was originally developed in Israel by MIrabilis. However, several years ago it was bought by Mail.Ru, the largest internet provider and social media company in Russia. An interesting news artile about Mail.Ru is Mail.ru launches in America as My.com, CEO admits Russian government could grab user data.

Trustworthy, anyone?

AIM

AIM was shut down in 2018.

MSN Messenger

After Micro$oft bought Skype, they merged it with MSN Messenger. All old MSN IDs are now Skype IDs.

Yahoo ID

Yahoo! killed their messenger in July, 2018. See their help page:

Yahoo Messenger will be discontinued

While not obvious, Micro$oft actually has two instantiations of Skype. One is the free public version, and the other is the enterprise version used by organizations that license full M$ Office for internal use.  Many enterprise users have two Skype IDs, one for work and one for personal use. (I did when I was employed)

Are any missing?

So, what about Google Hangouts, Facetime, Twitter, FaceBook Messenger (ptui!), WhatSApp, Instagram, Signal, Slack, QQ, and many other modern, still in operation personal communication systems?

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
2 Replies
rslade
Influencer II

> CraginS (Advocate I) posted a new topic in Member Support on 06-08-2019 09:00 AM

> Have you looked into your Profile settings here in the (ISC)2 Community?

Yup.

> One
> page allows you to share your screen names on several instant messenger (IM)
> systems.

Aside from not being big on instant messaging, I'm particularly "not big" on tying my online identity to some massive corporation. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Facebook. And, this week, Apple.)

(OK, now that you have pointed out that this option is completely out-of-date and pointless, what is the betting on how long it will take ISC2 to "fix" it, even if only by taking the option out? I'm taking 16 months. Who else is in the pool?)

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Shannon
Community Champion

@rslade wrote:

(OK, now that you have pointed out that this option is completely out-of-date and pointless, what is the betting on how long it will take ISC2 to "fix" it, even if only by taking the option out? I'm taking 16 months. Who else is in the pool?)

I'm pessimistic by nature, so I'll go for 30...

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz