Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zzptest
Newcomer I

CPEs for open source contributions

There doesn't appear to be anything in the CPE handbook about contributions to open source projects (either in terms of writing code, or other activity such as triaging bugs or testing and reviewing proposed code). There's a "Contributions to the profession" category of CPEs which seems like the obvious place for them - but they're not listed in the qualifying activities.

How should these be reported, and what kind of evidence should be provided for them? Would using the general rule of 1 CPE/hour, and GitHub commit logs/history be sufficient as evidence?

Similarly, how should contributions to existing articles and documentation (such as things like the OWASP Web Testing Guide) be handled? Many contributions would be updating or adding new sections to existing documentation and articles (rather than writing them from scratch). Would this fall under 10 CPEs (as a co-author)? Or is it possible to submit them with a smaller number of CPEs for contributions that might only have been an hour's work?

These kind of contributions to the public corpus of tools and guides is (in my opinion) a one of the more valuable ways that most people contribute to the professional (sometimes much more so that things like blog posts), so I'm surprised that this isn't included (and encouraged) in the handbook.

Has anyone had experiences claiming for these types of things, or can anyone from ISC2 give a statement on how this should be done?

Thanks.

3 Replies
amandavanceISC2

@zzptest  Thank you for your post. If you are not able to find the appropriate section to list your activity under, I would suggest listing it under the Education tab and then "Online webinars, podcasts and other online training". You would submit 1 CPE per hour of attendance and CPEs can be submitted in 0.25 increments if less then an hour. In regards to updating articles, if this is just small updates, I would suggest 1-2 CPEs max. If you are doing a major update where at least 80% of the material is being updated, and you are co-author, you may submit 10 CPEs. I would suggest reviewing the CPE Handbook for further information on how to submit for each activity. 

Best Regards, 

Amanda 

zzptest
Newcomer I

@amandavanceISC2 thanks for your response. I've read through the CPE handbook, but there's no discussion of development or open source projects. I would have assumed that they'd fall under "Contributions to the Profession" (Create New Industry Knowledge) - but this seems to be something that only covers writing and not development of tools or applications. Perhaps this is something that could be looked at - it's certainly something that ISC2 should be encouraging its members to do.

I'll submit under the "Online webinars, podcasts and other online materials" category as you say - it doesn't really fit very well on the portal (for example, there is no "Presenter", which is a mandatory field), but I can try and explain it in the text and link back here. Hopefully that'll be accepted.

Thanks.

igoncalves
Newcomer I

I'd sencond @zzptest @amandavanceISC2 . We should definitely have a section dedicated to inform our contributions to opensource projects/published codes.