Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timmulcahy
Viewer

CPEs for a PCI assessment

Having led my team through a number of successful PCI assessments I am wondering anyone knows if I can use some of this time to claim CPEs against my CISSP qualification?

4 Replies
wimremes
Contributor III

I think that is a no. CPEs are regarded to count towards your own professional education/development and not educating others or professional activities. The only exception to that, I believe, is preparation of presentations/workshops where significant research can be considered knowledge acquisition.

Sic semper tyrannis.
Kaity
Community Manager

We recently updated the CPE handbook - this might be helpful!

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx

dcontesti
Community Champion

@Kaity wrote:

We recently updated the CPE handbook - this might be helpful!

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx

I think the answer here, is it depends.  Did you have to take some special training to take on this effort?    Was this a special assignment?  Will you perform this task again for this employer? Etc.

Several years ago, the Scheme Committee (a committee that evaluates and also makes recommendations to the board on the credentials on things like CPEs that are ANSI accredited) made a recommendation that special work projects might be claimed towards one's credential.

That effort was lead by @TrickyDicky and should be fully documented in the Handbook that @Kaity points to.  Unfortunately the site is down for maintenance at the moment, so will need to follow up tomorrow.

My suggestion, check the manual and if still unclear, check with Member Services.

Regards

d

dcontesti
Community Champion

@timmulcahy wrote:

Having led my team through a number of successful PCI assessments I am wondering anyone knows if I can use some of this time to claim CPEs against my CISSP qualification?

@timmulcahy 

I believe this is the section in the CPE manual that might be appropriate to answer your question.

Hope this helps

d

Page 17 of the CPE guide

Members/Associates may submit a unique work project with a strong learning benefit.

Unique Work Experience Members and associates can earn up to 10 Group A CPE credits for activities
performed during their regular working hours when they are engaged in
unique projects, assignments, activities or exercises. The unique project,
assignment, activity or exercise must fall outside of their normal
(or day-to-day) job responsibilities or job description.
CPE Rule • Group A Only: 1 hour of participation related to the credential domains
equals 1 CPE with a maximum of 10 CPEs per unique work experience
• CPEs may be reported in 0.25, 0.50 and 0.75 increments
• These credits will be self-reported through the CPE portal and may
be audited
Documentation Required
Upon (ISC)2 Audit/Request
Proof of unique project or a brief description of no more than 250 words
summarizing the project or activity