Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Radioteacher
Community Champion

CPEs for CSA CCSK?

On 10/9/2017 I earned a Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge (CCSK) from the Cloud Security Alliance.  Can I claim any CPEs for a CCSK?

I will be taking the CCSP later this month, and have plenty of CPEs, I was just wondering.

Thank you,

Paul

4 Replies
fortean
Contributor III

Given that CCSK is often depicted as providing the groundwork for CCSP, surely yes.  The hours that you studied to achieve the certification are translated into CPE's 1 on 1, in as far as I know. You can register them as Group A Credits: Domain-Related Activities, that relate directly to the cyber security profession, select "Education Courses and Seminars" and enter the details.

See the (ISC)2 guidelines on CPE's

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
amandavanceISC2

Hello Paul,

Yes, you may certainly submit CPEs for obtaining a new certification. Members may submit up to 30 CPEs under the self-study category for the time spent preparing to obtain a new certification. If the activity relates to the domains of your certification, you may submit under Group A. If the activity is not domain related, but is professional development, you may submit under Group B. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at avance@isc2.org. 

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

fortean
Contributor III

Hi, Amanda, thanks for the explanation - but now I'm confused.

What if a person studies for, say, 120 hours, and dutyfully fills in 120 hours of study - does the software on the registry site automatically cap that to 30 hours (==CPE's) or do we have to cap that ourselves? And is that a generic rule, so: you can't ever earn more than 30 CPE's for your studies for whatever certificate? If not, is there some kind of list that we can check to see what the cap is for which certificate / study?

Kindest regards,

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
amandavanceISC2

@fortean I apologize for the delayed response. When submitting CPEs for obtaining a new certification, the submission would go under the self-study category. There is not a set maximum amount of CPEs to be entered on the self-study category, so we ask that you only enter up to 30 if the submission is for obtaining a new certification. You can find more information on the self-study CPE category in the CPE Policies and Guidelines. I have attached an excerpt below for your convenience:

"Completing self-study, and attending Computer-Based Training (CBT), webcasts, and podcasts - Group A or B credit
Members can earn one CPE credit per hour for completing a self-study program, attending computer- based training, or viewing a Web Cast or Pod Cast. For example, members can claim 1 CPE hour for attending one hour of online training course, or watching a webcast or podcast. However, (ISC)2 will not allow members to submit more than the maximum number of CPEs recommended by the self-study provider
Members who have studied to obtain an additional professional certification and are awarded that certification can claim up to 30 CPE credits for the preparation or self-study work they did to achieve that certification. If the additional certification is related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group A credits. If the additional certification is not related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group B credits. CPE credits associated with obtaining additional professional certifications are awarded for the time they spent in preparation for obtaining the additional credential but not for achieving the certification."

I hope this helps answer your question. If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at avance@isc2.org or 727-493-3579.

Have a great day!

Amanda Vance