Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csjohnng
Community Champion

CPE Question again

ISSMP_CPE_Overview.pngCPE.jpgISSMP_CPE.jpg

HI all,

I think I did not have a "define" answer last time, so I decide to ask again.

In CISSP concentration, it's required to have 20 CPE for each concentration.

Once the concentration is certified, the CPE cycle of this concentrate actually is already started prior to the certification date (as indicated in the CPE dashboard), it's combine (aligned) with CISSP's 3 year cycle.

According to CPE counting, I should only report related CPE after I am "granted" the certification, meaning prior CPE should not be counted? (not sure if I understand correctly)

Interesting thing happen is I watch a webinar on Jan 10, certified in ISSMP Jan 13, and 1 CPE is just automatically credited to this concentration today (because it take a couple of working days for the CPE to be credited into the system).

This maked me raise a few questions:

1) Does previously earned CPE in the CISSP prior to ISSMP certified can be counted (or entitled) to ISSMP?

2) If yes, that's ok, this means I can "re-enter" back my previous CPE manually?

3) If not, then should I "delete" this automatic added CPE myself because this "timing" issue,  I watch this webinar prior to the date I certify in this concentration?

A little clarification would help

John
6 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

@amandavanceISC2, this one probably needs official research and a formal answer.

Seems like there may be a border case here, whereby a person earning a second certification may get as little as one month to earn the required CPEs.

dcontesti
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

@amandavanceISC2, this one probably needs official research and a formal answer.

Seems like there may be a border case here, whereby a person earning a second certification may get as little as one month to earn the required CPEs.

Definitely agree here.

Looks like something has gone bump in the night as the member did not have the cert in May 2018.

I would question how the CPE got posted and then how it got posted to May 2018 to April 2019.......

csjohnng
Community Champion

@denbesten 

I have asked the same question last time (ISSAP) say if the concentration is granted just before 1 month left just before 3 year cissp CPE cycle ends. I was told there will be some "grace" period, but what I am not sure is the grace period for inputting CPE into the system to satisfy the required 20 point and you still have to earn 20 CPE within that 1 month.

@dcontesti 

actually as you earn each concentration, there is an award date for each "certificated held" captured (when you click your own profile) but at the same time ISC2 also capture certification cycle for each certification. If you try to "print member certificate", the pdf certificate will indicate those concentration certificated is aligned to CISSP certification cycle ( as well as the CPE Cycle).

the CPE posted is the "1" CPE I have earn in "Jan 10 2019", but CPE dashboard visualisation put this "1" into beginning of the cycle, since it's a empty, therefore this make you feel it got posted to the 1st year "May 2018 to April 2019"

John
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@csjohnng 

In your previous post on this subject, Amanda stated if you earned the concentration within the final 6 months of your CISSP cycle you wouldn't have to earn any CPEs towards the concentration for that cycle:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/cissp-concentration-cpe-counting/m-p/26674/highlight/tr...

In terms of the CPE being automatically credited to your ISSMP effectively out of cycle, I think my last reply in that previous thread would apply:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/cissp-concentration-cpe-counting/m-p/26674#M5403

In my opinion you should delete that CPE, but the process of doing so will be a pain as it will delete it for all of your certifications and you will have to manually add it again this time excluding it from being applied to your ISSMP. Given that is the case I would just earn 1 more CPE for your ISSMP to cover you.

csjohnng
Community Champion

@AlecTrevelyan 

yes, good that you actually recall the link. I cannot find the conversation myself.

I have called local isc2 support today, and I have been provided with feedback that I can have "grace period" - 90 day (which is written on the CPE handbook),  if it's under very tight situation (mean you concentration is very close to the cycle ends)  , however, i have also response 90 day grace period is just "submission", the CPE you have earned still must before the "expiration".

I have a written response to isc2 asking a clarification on Amanda's 6 month period if there is any official documentation and also from a "fairness" perspective, it's not really fair if the cycle start before the concentration start and while the CPE requirement is still in "full". For example someone may have close to 3 year to complete the require CPE, while someone may have 6-9 months to complete the 20 CPE.

I will wait for the official response, once I have more light, I will post further update.

For the automatic CPE earn, I will have extra CPE anyway, so I won't delete and this also won't get audit anyway because it's automatically added CPE won't get audit according to the CPE handbook.

John

John
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I highly suspect they didn't understand what you meant as this circumstance is not listed in the CPE handbook, and as you rightly say it's likely they're confusing it with the 90 days grace period you get to enter CPEs that were earned within the cycle.

Although it's not written anywhere, ISC2 are a reasonable bunch and I think it would be easy to argue, if needed, that you completed a pro-rated number of CPEs for your concentrations.

e.g. If you have 12 months to the end of your CISSP cycle at the point you earned a concentration you would only need to complete 20 / 36 * 12 = 7 CPEs.

Would be good to have a definitive answer though as this is something every new concentration holder has likely wondered about so I'm looking forward to your update!