cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laracissp
Newcomer I

CPE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROFESSION

Hi all,

Regarding the CPE rule: Preparing existing training.

The CPE Handbook says "1 semester (12 or more weeks) equals 20 CPEs".

Should I add 20 CPEs for each course I have teached?

NOTE: this is not may daily job

4 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

As stated, it's the preparation time you can claim for, so if you took 20 hours or more to prepare for each course you taught then absolutely you can claim 20 CPEs for each course.

CraginS
Defender I

@AlecTrevelyan wrote:

As stated, it's the preparation time you can claim for, so if you took 20 hours or more to prepare for each course you taught then absolutely you can claim 20 CPEs for each course.

But once you have developed and taught a course you cannot claim another CPE batch for teaching the same course over again from the same material. If you modify and update the course for the next session,  you can claim for the time of updating and revising. If you taught a course solely from a syllabus and course plan provided by the school, you should not claim any CPE, because the CPE type is for writing and developing, not presenting. 

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
laracissp
Newcomer I

Thank you Doctor, what would you suggest to claim in this scenario?

I teach the same class every semester (duration semester) and follow a syllabus from the university, but I update every semester links or reference materials.

I know I shouldn't claim 20 CPEs, but I am unsure on how to measure the effort for every update.

Regards!

cwaddell
Viewer II

I would like some clarification on this, I teach as an adjunct instructor and teach Cybersecurity courses. It would be nice to use some of that time for CPEs. ISACA allows credits for teaching courses for their certifications.