Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sportsfreak
Viewer

Become Member with external certification

I am excited to begin my learning journey with ISC2. I have created an account in your online portal.
I understand to be a member, you have to complete a certification. I wanted to know though, if I can become a member and add CPE credits first if I have completed my OSCP certification successfully? Please advise.
2 Replies
emb021
Advocate I

To be clear.

To become a member of ISC2, you must first pass one of the certification tests.  To obtain the certification, you must then complete an endorsement that shows you have the required years of experience, if not you become an Associate of ISC2 until you can gain the required experience.  (there is a time time to getting your endorsement in for each cert, and it varies as each cert has different experience requirements).

With ISC2 and some other certifying bodies, passing the test doesn't give you the certification.  You also need to meet experience requirements.

For CPEs, ONLY those activities that you complete AFTER obtaining your certification count.  So if you already have your OSCP cert, you can not count it toward your CPEs.

Please note, that after submitting your endorsement, it will be several weeks before its approved, and then the CPE period starts the first day of the following month.

So, for instance.  If you passed the test this month, it would be about 4-8 weeks before the endorsement was completed, say in November.  And your CPE period would start on Dec 1, 2019.  So NOTHING done before Dec 1 would count toward your CPE requirements.

Hope this helps.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
CraginS
Defender I

@sportsfreak wrote:
...can become a member and add CPE credits first if I have completed my OSCP certification successfully? Please advise.

Manish,

Sorry, but no. Membership requires becoming certified with one of the (ISC)2 certifications (e.g. CISSP, SSCP, CCSP, etc.), not simply any IT or security certification. If you complete the full certification process, described above, with exam, experience, and endorsement, then you become a member.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts