Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
la_joella
Newcomer I

Associate CISSP mistake

I think I mistakenly checked the box to apply for the Associate CISSP when I signed up to take the CISSP exam.

I passed the CISSP exam, then had a fellow CISSP member endorse me, and recently received an email from ISC2 that I have been  "awarded the Associate CISSP Designation."  I paid the $50 associate AMF.

I have the necessary work experience. Is this just a step before the full CISSP certification is awarded, or do I need to contact ISC2?

I searched community and did not see a similar issue. Has anyone experienced the same thing, and how was it resolved? Or am I just impatient? 

8 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@la_joella wrote:

I think I mistakenly checked the box to apply for the Associate CISSP when I signed up to take the CISSP exam.

I passed the CISSP exam, then had a fellow CISSP member endorse me, and recently received an email from ISC2 that I have been  "awarded the Associate CISSP Designation."  I paid the $50 associate AMF.

ilar issue. Has anyone experienced the same thing, and how was it resolved? Or am I just impatient? 

There is no such thing as Associate CISSP. There is only Associate of (ISC)2, which tis given to someone who passes any of the (ISC)2 certification exams but does not, yet, have enough experience to earn the certification. I suggest you reread the communication from (ISC)2 to see what it tells you.

In the meantime, Amanda @amandavanceISC2 may be able too help sort our the status. She has been most helpful for many here.

Good luck.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
la_joella
Newcomer I

Thanks Craig. I did not know of the Associate CISSP status as well.

As you can see below, one a screenshot from the email I received and my dashboard when I log in. You can see it states Associate CISSP, not Associate of (ISC)2.

I will reach out to Amanda @amandavanceISC2 

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 4.31.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-10 at 4.30.42 PM.png

CraginS
Defender I

@la_joella wrote:

Thanks Craig. I did not know of the Associate CISSP status as well.

As you can see below, one a screenshot from the email I received and my dashboard when I log in. You can see it states Associate CISSP, not Associate of (ISC)2.

I will reach out to Amanda @amandavanceISC2 

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 4.31.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-10 at 4.30.42 PM.png

Dang! I definitely stand corrected!

When did the Associate status change to specifying the target certification? We had a couple op along threads on this topic a number of months ago.

See Understanding Associate of (ISC)2 Status

and

CISSP Associate or SSCP

A big part of the past rules were that Associates could not specify which certification they were working on. In fact, anyone not fully certified was not allowed to even mention CISSP in any statement about themselves.

Thank you for posting the image. You have demonstrated a major change in the membership structure that I, and I imagine others were not aware of. I suspect this is as surprise to Grandpa Rob @rslade and Diana @dcontesti  , too.

I'd like to hear from @amandavanceISC2 , or @SamanthaO_isc2 to clarify the what, why, and when of this change.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Outside of the inconsistencies with the messaging around the Associate programme, the process should always be the same.

If you select the option at the time you book your exam (see screenshot below) you become an Associate after you pass the exam and you pay your $50 Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF).

If you don't select the option at the time you book the exam you need to submit an endorsement application and either apply to be an Associate, for which you don't need an endorser, or apply for the full certification, which for the CISSP you will need an endorser (either one you have lined up for yourself or you can opt for ISC2 to act as your endorser).

When you say you had a fellow CISSP endorse you, did you submit an application and provide their name and member ID? Also, what time frame are we talking about here? When did you pass the exam? When did you pay the $50? When did you submit your endorsement application? When did your fellow CISSP endorse you?

As a guess, I'd say you did select the option to be an Associate when booking your exam, but you're now going through the endorsement application process. Which is fine, but you have taken an unnecessary step in becoming an Associate if you already had enough experience.

However, there should be no harm done as I believe when updating to the full CISSP you only need to pay the difference in the AMF so $125-$50=$75, so maybe the only downside apart from the confusion is a delay of a few extra days or so.

associate-option.png

dcontesti
Community Champion

You are correct @CraginS I have never heard of this certification status.  I looked on the website and ist does not mention Associate CISSP, it still says become an Associate of (ISC)2.  It may have something to do with the new DETE system.  

I am hoping this is a system limitation or a programming error.

la_joella
Newcomer I

Thanks for the insight.  After reading your responses I also think it is a technical error with the title. As much as the email states that I can share this achievement on social media, I am waiting for the CISSP title, not Associate CISSP.

When you say you had a fellow CISSP endorse you, did you submit an application and provide their name and member ID? Also, what time frame are we talking about here? When did you pass the exam? When did you pay the $50? When did you submit your endorsement application? When did your fellow CISSP endorse you?

• CISSP endorsed after I provided their name and member ID when completing the endorsement form online
  • I passed the exam 4 weeks ago. Yes, I am aware of the short time frame to expect the CISSP process to be completed, but my question was dealing with the error on my part to check the box as Associate of (ISC)2 and the ramifications of that. I was unsure if it would sort itself out or if I would need to intervene and contact (ISC)2. I am currently looking at jobs and want to utilize the designation but will not until the process has been completed. 
amandavanceISC2

@la_joella Congratulations on passing your exam! That is not a problem at all. If you have the experience to hold the full CISSP, you will just need to submit your endorsement application. Once that has been approved, the Endorsement team will remove the Associate status and make you a full CISSP.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

ParveenGarg
Viewer

I think I also made a same mistake, just realized now, while creating account and booking for the exam I by mistake selected "Yes" and now I cleared the exam but not sure what to do next? Did you got your CISSP certification ? How the error you made, you fixed it?