Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJonathan
Viewer

Army Reserve

Would my time as an Army Reservist count toward my 5 years full time employment?

7 Replies
Baechle
Advocate I

Reserve work typically is 1/6 full time.  In other words, adding up your drills and AT periods, you work the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 to 2 full months every year.

There's an average of 20 working days in a month (28 days, minus 2 for weekends over 4 weeks or 28 - (2*4) = 20)

Your drill periods count for 24 days (one weekend per month = 2 days over 12 months = 2*12 = 24)

Plus your normal AT period of 12 to 14 days and you're between 36 and 38 working days a year... just shy of 2 months of experience every year.  So, in 6 years of Reserve service you'd have about a full extra year of experience.

JoeB_IG
Newcomer II

Do you have any ADOS or ADT time?

amandavanceISC2

@JJonathan Thank you for your inquiry! If your experience in the Army Reserve was full-time and domain related, you may use this as experience towards the five year requirement. 

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

Baechle
Advocate I

Amanda (@amandavanceISC2),

Are you saying that you don't accept any part-time experience through the Reserves at all?

Sincerely,

Eric B.

amandavanceISC2

@Baechle We do accept part-time work as long as it is in monthly increments, between 20-34 hours per week. Unfortunately, if it is only 1 weekend per month, we would not be able to accept that as experience. For any questions regarding what type of part-time is accepted, I would suggest reaching out to our Endorsement team at programs@isc2.org or call at 1-866-331-4722 option 1 and then option 3 for endorsements. 

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

Baechle
Advocate I

Amanda (@amandavanceISC2),

Thank you for the clarification.  I didn't know there was a distinction. 

It may be helpful to put a footnote about that for Reservists, Guardsmen, and Veterans in the experience required section.  I know quite a few reservists that represent their experience using the equation I posted above.  That's how I was told to figure out my equivalent experience by representatives from the Office of Personnel Management.

Sincerely,

Eric B.

amandavanceISC2

@Baechle Thank you for the suggestion! I will bring this to management for review!

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance