Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noah382
Viewer

Already CISSP, work is sponsoring a CISSP Prep Course, count for CPEs?

Hello,

I obtained my CISSP in 2011 and I still need 40 CPE for this year.  My work is sponsoring a CISSP prep course  for our employees and I would like to know if I took this course could I submit it as my CPE for this year?

Thanks!

3 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Hi Noah382,

You say you need 40 CPEs for this year, but there is no annual requirement for CPEs anymore (supposedly there never was and it was just a suggestion) and there is only the 3-year certification cycle requirement of 120 CPEs for the CISSP. Does this information change your requirements?

If you are in the final year of your certification cycle and still need 40 CPEs to fulfil the 120 you need to re-certify then I believe you would only be able to count the time you spent on the new CISSP prep course learning the differences between the CBK you learned to earn your CISSP in 2011 and the current CISSP CBK.

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

On page 5 of the CPE Handbook it says:

"...CPEs can be earned through various learning activities..."

Going over the same material again I wouldn't class as learning.

There are plenty of ways to earn CPEs through the ISC2 member portal such as online courses, webinars and magazine quizzes - these would probably be more interesting too rather than going over things you already know!

CraginS
Defender I

@Noah382 wrote:

Hello,

I obtained my CISSP in 2011 and I still need 40 CPE for this year.  My work is sponsoring a CISSP prep course  for our employees and I would like to know if I took this course could I submit it as my CPE for this year?

Thanks!

Noah,

As previously commented, there is no annual CPE requirement, only the three-year 120 CPE requirement.

As for the CISSP course, I believe you could use the course and work and not have to deal with nitnoys by only claiming a differential analysis. Seven years since you certified has meant a lot of change in the field.

Nonetheless, I strongly suggest you use a customized series of online podcasts and webinars, all for free, so you can update on new advances and focus areas for your own work, such as PKI advances, certificate management, and new developments in identity & access management (IDAM). Only one or two hours a week of webinars and podcasts make it very easy to keep your CPE count current. Such free resources are available from (ISC)2, ISSA, SANS, CSIAC, Carnegie Mellon University, Cisco, etc. You can;t lose!

(Originally the CPE rules were as now at 120/3 year; for a few years it was 20/year AND 120 /3 year; and for a brief period it was 40/yr=120/3 yr. With the most recent release of the CPE Guidelines we went back to the original 120/3 years)

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
amandavanceISC2

@Noah382 As others have mentioned, we are no longer enforcing the annual CPE requirements; however, we do still recommend to try to get 40 CPEs a year to stay current with the changing information. To answer your questions, yes, you may take the CISSP course your company is sponsoring as a lot of information has changed since you obtained your CISSP. You may submit up to 40 CPEs (1 CPE per hour of attendance) for the training under the 'Education' tab.

Best Regards,

Amanda