Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

2019 Workforce Study - Women in Cybersecurity

The 2019 Workforce Study on Women in Cyber is here:

https://www.isc2.org/research/women-in-cybersecurity

Nice to see the percentage of women being attracted to the workforce is increasing, this year it shows 24% of the workforce as being ladies.  Back when I started in Security (many moons ago, I was certified in 1996 and no I did not say I was certifiable), and sat the exam in DC, I think there were only 2 or 3 ladies in a room of 100.

So this increase is great.  Glad to see organizations like (ISC)2 and others doing their parts on Diversity and Inclusion.

d

3 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

@dcontesti wrote:

Glad to see organizations like (ISC)2 and other doing their parts on Diversity and Inclusion.

Equal pay for equal work! @david-shearer promote equality now!

dcontesti
Community Champion

@AppDefects wrote:

@dcontesti wrote:

Glad to see organizations like (ISC)2 and other doing their parts on Diversity and Inclusion.

Equal pay for equal work! @david-shearer promote equality now!

I like the idea of the organization doing their part to promote equal pay for equal work but this is an age old problem not just in the security field but many fields out there.  Many of the Fortune 100/500 companies pay to scale and parity is not an issue.

This also goes further than just the gender equality issue, there is also disparity in degrees in some corporations.  When I first started working, I was in Engineering.  I held two degrees (one in Computers and one in Commerce). A young engineer was hired from a local university and was foolish enough to discuss his pay grade.  I was training him, and he was griping about the low wages after all he had to start at a salary grade 11.....at the time I was only a grade 9.  As it was explained to me, he had an Engineering degree which was four years....hmmm I had a four year B. Comm and a three year Computer Science degree....

This was the mentality of the Engineering department at the time. I was also informed this had nothing to do with gender and that even if I were a gent, I would only be paid a salary grade 9, it had to do with not having an Engineering degree.  I found that other departments also had similar mentalities regarding the degrees that one had.   I went open door (fortunately the organization had that policy) and finally had my job and qualifications re-evaluated.....seems I was in fact a salary grade 14.....I got a nice pay increase that year.

Not only do organizations like (ISC)2, SANS, ISACA, etc. need to promote equality in pay, I believe that we owe it to ourselves to also stand up and fight for ourselves.

One way that women, can help themselves is by gaining a sponsor who will sing their praises to any that will listen and also step out of their comfort zones and become mentors.

There is a lot of work that needs to happen to bring equality to the forefront and I see ladies and gents doing this every day. It is a hard battle and if we have backing of our organizations, maybe we can start chipping away at some of the old norms.

d

Kaity
Community Manager

That’s some of the great work from our research team! We’re just wrapping up the survey stage of the 2019 Cybersecurity Workforce Study which continues to look at many issues related to profession. We’re very encouraged by the strong, positive response to this research earlier in the year, and the discussion it prompted on social media and elsewhere about this issue. The 2019 study will be released after Security Congress 2019 so stay tuned!