cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

You are all targets!

Hi All

Everyone is a target:  https://www.csoonline.com/article/3521231/everyone-is-a-target.html?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=em...

So what can you do about it? 

"Let’s do better, be better and give all the criminals less of our hard-earned money. "

Regards

Caute_cautim

5 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

So I think that doing more public awareness would help.

Today, I received two calls from unknown callers.  Typically I do not answer the phone unless I know the number however today, I was expecting a call and did not know the number they might call from so I picked up.

Guess what.........it was a scam call......Apparently my Social Insurance Number (SIN) was being used for illegal activities.  HMMMM my first clue.........it was an automated woman's voice that went on to tell me the the SIN was being used for illegal activities (oh did I mention that SINs are federal).  The message goes on to say that unless I take immediate action, a warrant will be sworn out by a Magistrate to have me arrested...........now I started to worry (NOT).

Second clue, as the message continued "unless I took immediate action and Press 1 to speak to an officer", the warrant would be issued........

So I sit waiting for the RCMP or in my case the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) to come and arrest me...... 

Fortunately, I still have my wits about me, and can break this type of thing down, but unfortunately, some poor unsuspecting person or senior will get the same call and become a victim.

We see articles in trade journals and industry blogs but very little in the public prevue.  I am contacting the local news agencies to see if they will run a piece on this type of scam.....

And agree:  Let’s do better, be better and give all the criminals less of our hard-earned money. 

d

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

I've even seen professional colleagues get taken in by scams.  They're often exploiting the simple fact that people are busy and don't take the time to read their email properly.

The latest one doing the rounds is Amazon claiming that someone has subscribed to Prime using my bank details and if I just provide them they'll put the money back.  Oh really!  And the automated call; you've recently been involved in a motor vehicle accident that wasn't your fault ...  I just hang up.  The sales tactics of some companies also appear so like scammers that they get hung up on too.  Maybe the advice needs to be simply don't take unsolicited calls.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
dcontesti
Community Champion

@Steve-Wilme wrote:

I've even seen professional colleagues get taken in by scams.  They're often exploiting the simple fact that people are busy and don't take the time to read their email properly.

Couldn't agree more, so easy to get scammed......by phone and email......especially when you have about twelve balls in the air at the same time.

d

Martini
Newcomer I

Agree that!
Not only phone and email are dangerous, at times we even get pishing letters.
i think more awarness is the best solution.
Flyslinger2
Community Champion

I will answer the phone when those annoying robo-calls happen and start by saying that I am recording the call and the phone number.

*CLICK*