Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

The big cybersecurity leaders resignation?

Hi All

Is it really true that good cybersecurity leaders are thinking of resigning?  Or are they simply opting for retirement?

https://securityintelligence.com/news/cybersecurity-great-resignation/

Regards

Caute_Cautim

5 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@Caute_cautim wrote:

Is it really true that good cybersecurity leaders are thinking of resigning?  Or are they simply opting for retirement?

Well, consider the events of the early 90s: Internet goes commercial, Linux debuts, as does World Wide Web. Any one of those would be considered watershed, but the aligning of all three is truly epic. Those of us who were working then are now heading toward retirement. However, as all these tools matured, I think technology as a profession become more transient. Part of that is the acceleration of technology, which can be defined by Moore's Law, but I think as a whole technology has become viewed as a tool to entrepreneurship. I think a lot of the people you see gravitating toward technology today, in whatever capacity, have their eyes set past whatever they are doing currently. So all of this makes the industry rather than transient.

Carolsparks
Viewer

There is no clear evidence to suggest that a large number of cybersecurity leaders are resigning or retiring at a higher rate than usual. While there may be individual cases of cybersecurity leaders choosing to leave their positions for various reasons, it is not accurate to make a broad statement that there is a trend of cybersecurity leaders resigning. 

denbesten
Community Champion

@Carolsparks wrote:

There is no clear evidence 

I view this more as a "job satisfaction survey" than a turn-over-rate report, primarily because the survey states "considering quitting" (as opposed to "have quit").  

My primary concern is it fails to mention methodology, sample size and an indication of how well it represents the sample population, making it impossible to estimate its gravitas.

JoePete
Advocate I

@Carolsparks wrote:

There is no clear evidence to suggest that a large number of cybersecurity leaders are resigning or retiring at a higher rate than usual.

Agreed. Of course, even surveys that extrapolate future need aren't real evidence either (unless someone has been using a time machine without telling the rest of us). In my view, the future gap is not in the need to develop more "security professionals" but in the need for more "professionals who think securely." I would question whether we have become too specialized, especially from an organizational standpoint. Security shouldn't be a separate business unit, but rather, integral to every business unit. We're actually starting to see this as HR and finance organizations are adding security to their credentials, but I think we need to see it more widespread, and ultimately, board rooms and C-suite offices represent imperial nudist colonies when it comes to security. 

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@CarolsparksI am seeing more of an integration going on, many technologies such as AI, Data Security with governance, ethical and privacy issues, as though security & privacy is becoming part of the mainstream, incorporated and integrated with every service and offering - which is a good thing, if done well.

Whether those offerings these, have the abilities and experience is another matter all together.

A lot of this is driven by the current situation with OpenAI, ChatGPT etc which has brought many of these issues to the table widely.

Regards

Caute_Cautim