cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

Spectre/Meltdown Vulnerabilities - PATCH ISSUES

Hi all,

Please be aware that there are currently issues with some of the Windows Patches available for the Issues mentioned in the Title.

Aside from the issues with 3rd Party AV products, AMD processor users are experiencing System Halts and general System Crashes. Some Intel users are also reporting BSOD (Or indeed Unhappy Face of Death for Win10 users).

Please be sure to have your windows patched up to date (Including January 2018 Security update), and ensure AV products are supported, and indeed any firmware up to date before applying the patches.

There is also an available Powershell module to verify whether your system is vulnerable:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Speculation-Control-e36f0050

I would certainly suggest reading up on the available patches before deploying and of course test as required.

Most importantly, ENSURE YOU HAVE BACKUPS or indeed a get-out-of-jail-free-plan, just in case. 

Stay safe!

3 Replies
Badfilemagic
Contributor II

Funny thing about the registry key requirement by Microsoft to receive security updates... it is basically a registey key that can be unset to prevent future security updates from being received...
-- wdf//CISSP, CSSLP
Nothwindtrader
Newcomer II

So you're saying we need to do proper Change Management and have a DRP?

To quote Linus Torvalds:

Only wimps use tape backup, real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it.

Smiley Very Happy

HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

I know,

The thought itself is terrifying 🙂