Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Ransomeware Task Force Released Framework

On April 29, 2021, the Ransomeware Task Force (RTF) led by the Institute for Security and Technology released Combatting Ransomware: A Comprehensive Framework for Action: Key Recommendations from the Ransomware....

Over 50 organizations participate in the RTF, ranging from AWS, Cisco, Citrix, and Microsoft, to FireEye, Crowdstrike, Palo Alto Network, and even the FBI, Secret Service, and the National Governors Association.

RTF presented the RTF Framework:

1. Deter ransomeware attacks.

2. Disrupt the ransomware business model.

3. Help organizations prepare.

4. Respond to ransomeware attacks more effectively.

The full report makes 48 action recommendations, with five priority recommendations. 

A major aspect is the need to provide governance and legal oversight of payment processors. Given that the grand daddy of crypto currency, Bitcoin, was specifically, explicitly designed to avoid government scrutiny and intervention, it will be fascinating to see if legislatures and law enforcement entities, including financial authorities, can actually carry out this recommendation.

[published on my blog 5/22/2021]

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
1 Reply
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

I posted on this as well but it didn't spark any dialogue within the Community thus far. Hopefully yours will lol!

I'm having a hard time getting on board with crypto currency in general with the amount of illegal activity it helps fund. I think it raises an ethical question of does it bring more harm than good? I'm all for privacy but at what cost? 

I really like the included timeframes for each section and who should be responsible. PSA: Skip to page 52 for a quick summary of the report.