cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Pig Butchering Scams

Hi All

Any one heard of these so called "Pig Butchering" scams on cryptocurrency platforms?

It appears a lot of people have lost a massive amount of money due this scam.

Or is it just a name to bring people's attention to the issue, so it can be addressed?

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/07/massive-losses-define-epidemic-of-pig-butchering/

Regards

Caute-Cautim

1 Reply
HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

@Caute_cautim wrote:

Hi All

Any one heard of these so called "Pig Butchering" scams on cryptocurrency platforms?

It appears a lot of people have lost a massive amount of money due this scam.

Or is it just a name to bring people's attention to the issue, so it can be addressed?

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/07/massive-losses-define-epidemic-of-pig-butchering/

Regards

Caute-Cautim

Being a blockchain enthusiast and fairly experienced in the "Web3" crytpo space, I have to say I've not heard the term used widely. 

However, the amount of scams and security incidents occurring in that space is alarming. Not so much through new and improved methods either, simple scams and crimes that occur in everyday life, are done the same way. It's just that there is little to no regulation around the space and it comes unpoliced. 

I can't say i'm surprised that the "Pig Butchering" things are showing their heads above the parapet, after all, it's effectively the classic catfish scam but at a larger scale, at least to some extent. 

Anyway, in answer to your question - Yes, the name is chiefly used to sensationalise the act, therefore raise the issue, albeit a little too dramatize for my taste. 

The fact is, it's an act of fraud that allows the attacker to relieve you of money via cryptocurrency. Smells a lot like the "I need Amazon gift cards to pay for hospital treatment"  situation to me, just at a grander scale. 

Cheers