cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

National Public Data Confirms Massive Breach

Hi All

Data aggregator National Public Data (NPD) has finally confirmed a breach that has exposed personal identity records belonging to potentially hundreds of millions of consumers across the US, UK, and Canada.

In a statement that offered little details, the Coral Springs, Fla.-based company acknowledged what numerous others have reported in recent days about a "third-party bad actor" accessing data from NPDs databases sometime in April 2024. The company described the data which the threat actor accessed as including full names, email addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers, and mailing addresses belonging to an unknown number of people.

https://www.darkreading.com/cyberattacks-data-breaches/national-public-data-confirms-massive-breach

Regards

Caute_Cautim

4 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

I have controversial opinions about companies with such unlimited potential to cause harm.  They should be on the hook for credit monitoring services, for every person whose data was found in the breach, forever.

I could not care less if a person freezes all their credit reporting agency accounts as an act of due care in the aftermath of this, or Equifax, or [insert your favorite large-scale breach here].  Negligence is negligence.  Liability is liability.  If they dry up, so be it.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.

In a recent and alarming development, national public data has confirmed a massive breach, exposing sensitive information of millions of individuals. This breach, which has compromised personal and financial data, underscores the urgent need for enhanced cybersecurity click here and vigilant monitoring. The scale of the breach is unprecedented, impacting not only individuals but also critical institutions and businesses.

denbesten
Community Champion

@ericgeater wrote:

They should be on the hook for credit monitoring services, for every person whose data was found in the breach, forever.

I may hold a slightly more controversial position....   credit monitoring is not enough.   Even for life is not enough.  Credit monitoring is just a detective control.  They need to include reparations and preventative measures too.

ericgeater
Community Champion

They need to include reparations and preventative measures too.

Of all the fallout from Equifax, the key takeaway for me was to do freezes on credit reporting agency accounts.  I mean, it's a reasonable defense, and it's free.

Anything else in the financial world really depends on me setting up 2FA for every account I have.

But yes, I still want Equifax to melt into oblivion

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.