cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Minors using Discord Servers to spread malware

HI All

It appears Avast has uncovered a networks consisting of minors using Discord servers to spread malware for cash.

A ingenious idea:  https://securitybrief.com.au/story/minors-using-discord-servers-to-spread-malware-for-cash

Regards

Caute_Cautim

7 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

I have very mixed emotions on this one.  So sad that we cannot find a way to leverage these minds into doing something useful for the community.

I know that several years ago, there was a movement to have the Cub Scouts engage and potentially develop a badge.  Unfortunately, I lost contact with the folks doing this, but I do know that it was US only.

It would be a good place to start if they could get momentum.

Several years ago, there was a professor in Western Canada that was actually teaching a hacking course.  That raised so many alarms and bells.

We as an industry need to do something that can excite younger folks into the positive?  Maybe some companies (vendors) could offer bug track programs?

Thoughts

d

LauraFoley
ISC2 Team

As a former Scout leader, I can happily report that earning the Cyber Chip patch is part of the Scout curriculum. There are two different levels: simpler concepts for the Cub Scouts and more advanced concepts for the Boy Scouts.

dcontesti
Community Champion

@LauraFoley  Thanks for the update.

Would you know if there was any take up to move this outside the US?  

Do folks think this might be a worthwhile endeavour?

d

LauraFoley
ISC2 Team

@dcontesti, the Boy Scouts of America's program is limited to Scouting in the United States. I don't know if cybersecurity is taught to Scouts outside of the U.S.

dcontesti
Community Champion

@LauraFoley 

Thanks

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Hi @dcontesti Within in New Zealand Netsafe is the main conduit for public cybersecurity awareness here, it would be good cause and issue to raise within out own countries or even wider.

Or even an ISC2 community campaign?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

dcontesti
Community Champion

@Caute_cautim Great idea.  I will reach out to some folks that I know and see what their plans are or what they might consider doing.

d