Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Jail time for Zuckerburg?

The FTC investigation of the Facebook's Cambridge Analytical third-party data sharing is about to conclude. Word is that the FTC fine will be approximately $5 billion—or one month’s worth of revenue. Does it really matter? NO, unless there is jail time for Zuckerburg's flagrant, repeated violations of Americans' privacy. That is the only way to make big tech CEOs wake up.

1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

@AppDefects wrote:

The FTC investigation of the Facebook's Cambridge Analytical third-party data sharing is about to conclude. Word is that the FTC fine will be approximately $5 billion—or one month’s worth of revenue. Does it really matter? NO, unless there is jail time for Zuckerburg's flagrant, repeated violations of Americans' privacy. That is the only way to make big tech CEOs wake up.

I have a hard time believing that Facebook facilitated all that much. The major parties, political consultants, etc. have all been profiling and manipulating voters for decades. If we are going to say Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, or even the Russians fell short of some moral or legal standard, I challenge someone to point me toward that standard or its bearer. It's certainly not either of the major parties. Yet, 95 percent of the American voters, sided with a major party in 2016. You may be right - Facebook and Zuckerberg may have a flagrant disregard for American's privacy, but I don't see any evidence that Americans have the self-esteem or backbone to do anything about it.