Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

How about an ISC2 Community Predictions for 2020?

Hi All

How about some debate about security and privacy predictions of our own for 2020? 

1)  Pushing things off the ramp, I believe IoT, IIoT, and OT - putting them in the same domain, although there is some subtle differences within OT.   This area will become a major concern in 2020, especially after the study on RSA digital certificates state within these IoT devices:  https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3084715/iot-encryption-weak?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email...

2)  Is it not time for passwords to be phased out and for us to go FIDO instead?  https://fidoalliance.org/

Any thoughts on how to establish and achieve this in 2020?

3)  Ransomware is increasing, as shown with many education establishments in the USA lately being held to extortion attempts - so relate to IoT and they the cyber-criminals are likely to literally make a killing in terms of increased revenues to themselves.

4)  The ramifications of the CCPA and SB-327 will be known in 2020 and the likelihood of USA adopting a GDPR like legislation?

5)  Any others that come to mind?

Regards

Caute_cautim

38 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

@Caute_cautim wrote:

Hi All

Apologies went into RFP mode after New Year and the mad rush to get responses out to clients - yes, those entities, who don't believe in festive holidays, but pay the wages, so to speak.

@AppDefects Can we work privately as a group on this compilation, collectively - then put our best foot forward?  I will collate what we have put down and I have a few more thoughts as well.  But as you say lets get the pedal to ground and get it written and moving forward.  Don't want swamp and bore everyone else, but everyone's opinion and suggestions all help to craft a better blog in the end.

But please feel free to set this in motion - just in case something else catches me unaware in the next couple of days. 

Regards

Caute_cautim

@Caute_cautim @AndreaMoore @AppDefects 

As suggested, it might be useful to take this offline.

When this topic first came up (thanks Caute_Cautim), my thoughts on a blog was that we hear vendors discussing their thoughts on what 2020 will look like but what do the folks in the field (those doing the work) actually think their bane of existance will be.

@AppDefects happy to assist with this.  I have some words on Privacy and its affect on Security.

Regards

d

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@dcontesti @AppDefects The way we are going to break the duck on this is reach out and communicate - to break the silience - here is my official e-mail address, please use it to communicate so we can get this on the road so to speak.  I have a long weekend coming, so lets use it wisely.   John.Martin@nz1.ibm.com

Regards

Caute_cautim

dcontesti
Community Champion

@Caute_cautim  @AppDefects 

I can be reached at dlcontesti@gmail.com 

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@dcontestiI have at long e-mailed you directly - just been through a hectic couple of days of laptop faults, and a barrage of help desk - I think the fault is this etc. 

Looking forward to reviewing your material - as on a long weekend - Bank Holiday on my Monday.

Regards

Caute_cautim

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Hello all and @Caute_cautim @dcontesti @AppDefects @rslade @CISOScott

We have posted a blog with 2020 Predictions from our community discussion. Thank you to all of you who participated and special thanks to two authors who volunteered to compile the discussion. 

I broke it into two posts, part 1 posted today and stay tuned for part 2 to post tomorrow. Feel free to share it with your professional network. 

https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2020/02/security-predictions-for-2020-from-the-isc%C2%B2-community-o...

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to more discussion and posts of this type in the future. 

Andrea

ISC2 Community Manager
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@AndreaMoore @dcontesti Thank you for your support on this venture.

Lets do an update later on in the year, 6 months and 12 months to see how it went?

Regards

Caute_cautim

dcontesti
Community Champion

@Caute_cautim @AndreaMoore Thanks to both of you

Also thanks to the members of the community who chimed in on this.

Great idea to follow up and see how things work out in 2020

d

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Blog #2 is now posted to continue the discussion!

https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2020/02/security-predictions-for-2020-from-the-isc%C2%B2-community-o...

Thanks again,

Andrea

@AndreaMoore wrote:

Hello all and @Caute_cautim @dcontesti @AppDefects @rslade @CISOScott

We have posted a blog with 2020 Predictions from our community discussion. Thank you to all of you who participated and special thanks to two authors who volunteered to compile the discussion. 

I broke it into two posts, part 1 posted today and stay tuned for part 2 to post tomorrow. Feel free to share it with your professional network. 

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to more discussion and posts of this type in the future. 

Andrea

ISC2 Community Manager
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Some of our Community members worked together to write up some industry predictions for 2020. This was prior to the pandemic. They recently took a look at what has changed since COVID-19 and what hasn't changed. Take a look and let us know what you think! 

https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2020/07/rethinking-security-predictions-for-2020.html

Thank you to @Caute_cautim and @dcontesti for compiling the latest update!

ISC2 Community Manager