cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mj1602
Viewer

Chat GPT usage for Enterprises

Hi All, 

ChatGPT is emerging as new player in the tech topic space. Some have found it to be a benefit, while others a risk. with some research, I see there may be risk associated over data leakage or copyright issues or privacy risks but also noticed feeds from community on this as great support tool towards troubleshooting or learning. 

There are many Organizations who have taken a stand to ban usage of ChatGPT.  

I want to open up discussion on how security community is taking it up. Are we good to accept the risks over the benefits or shall this be banned for enterprise consumption. 

3 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@mj1602 wrote:

I want to open up discussion on how security community is taking it up. Are we good to accept the risks over the benefits or shall this be banned for enterprise consumption. 

It really depends on how it's being used. As a broad statement, I'd say the challenge with ChatGPT is that it may be cost-prohibitive to use it to replace employees for critical business functions. However, to use it as a tool supporting people in those business functions, it may prove very useful. Really, this is the discussion that began 30 years ago with spell check. It can help people do their jobs, but if you rely on it unconditionally, you're going to end up with unintended, embarrassing, and maybe even dangerous results.

AI is about being able to synthesize conclusions or connections. It's about inference. In terms of risk assessment, given the uncertainty around loss expectancy and frequency, in many cases, you can't adequately accept the risk, and I can't imagine a transference option. You're left with mitigation. The only way to reduce the risk associated with AI doing someone's job is to have someone who knows the job well enough and who can intervene if it goes wrong. In many cases, that becomes cost prohibitive. Where it is manageable is when the AI isn't used for a critical function (e.g., supports employees but doesn't replace them) or in limited cases where loss expectancy is quantifiable, mostly because the business function has rather limited value (AI is fine for selecting songs to listen to, but don't put in charge of regulating water in the nuclear reactor).

MP1985
Viewer II

IMO if good policy on the use of ChatGPT is published outlining what is acceptable and what is not, there would be no need to totally ban.

fclem
Viewer

I think users will use chatGPT like a tool (ie PowerPoint, Google translate...). it depends on data classification and usage within the organisation.