cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Businesses must block impersonation emails by February

Hi All

Well Google and Yahoo are getting hard line on DMARC and using this to reduce phishing, will you comply too?

https://ia.acs.org.au/content/ia/article/2023/businesses-must-block-impersonation-emails-by-february...

Regards

Caute_Cautim

5 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

About time.

Frankly I think they should go further and email should be a clear channel for people with no tolerance for marketing, automated send, bouncey envelope senders and anything else. The asymmetry in automated sending pollutes the whole communications medium and if it was removed and everyone was accountable it would work really well.

Just think of all the electricity we’d save on content scanning…

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Early_Adopter    Very true - its a sustainability target....

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

There we go… Governance and Ethics working hand in hand to our cherished. personally desired outcomes…
JoePete
Advocate I

Frankly, I think this is a marketing/product strategy, not a security one. These email providers (Gmail, Outlook/hotmail, Yahoo) basically are trying to corner the market on email. Eventually (if we aren't close to being there now), it will be you will have to use their services to send email to anyone else using their services.

The insincerity of this effort is borne out in the volume of tracking promulgated by these organizations and the way they handle email. They don't care about security. They care about connecting your wallet to whoever pays them to do it.

denbesten
Community Champion

There are validation websites for all three, so it is pretty easy to determine one's current posture.  

And kudos to Google and Yahoo for raising the bar, as well as to those who raised the bar before them.

From the article....    "88 per cent of Fortune 500 companies using DMARC" ... "34 per cent of the Top 5,000 global companies".

My take on this: companies too small to have dedicated email staff ought to outsource email to a big SAAS provider.  Their setup instructions generally tell you exactly what needs to go into your DNS records so the provider can keep it ever-fresh.