Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Quantum Computers not so fast... where have some of these people been living?

Hi All

I read with interest comments on Quantum Computing and some of the comments from the chief inventors of Public Key Cryptography from the RSA conference 2023:

https://www.isc2.org/Insights/2023/06/Quantum-Leaping-Quantum-Computers-Not-So-Fast?queryID=0764acd1...

One particular comment stands out:  "Shamir pointed out that over a span of thirty years, since the 1990s, quantum computing has only produced promises and, to date, is incapable of solving a single practical problem faster than classical computers."   I wonder where he has been living - because there have been some significant breakthroughs within Quantum Computing even in 2023.

The other comment which stands out for me is:  "In summary, the panelists made an effort to debunk the hype of quantum computers, the predicted timelines of arrival and the overall capabilities of the technology. The message to cybersecurity professionals is to prepare to design systems using quantum resistant cryptography (QRC) as per guidance from NIST even if quantum computers do not arrive. The guidance is to choose purpose specific QRC wisely based on the risk posed to the specific system and its data."

Things are moving very fast indeed, is my comment - and if his principle is correct - "Professor Michele Mosca from the Institute of Quantum Computing at the University of Waterloo has stated that “There is a 1 in 7 chance that fundamental public-key crypto will be broken by quantum by 2026, and a 1 in 2 chance of the same by 2031.” .  I think the majority of us, should actually be planning rather than stating it will not arrive.  Quantum Computing is here, and it is solving problems today.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

0 Replies