Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rslade
Influencer II

Burn down your home, or let someone else burn down your home, from your (or their) phone ...

In terms of IoT devices, now I've found a new candidate for world's stupidest idea for connecting things to the Internet.

Meet a candle that you can start up, with a real flame, from your smartphone app.

The mind just absolutely boggles ...

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
10 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@rslade   Once again someone thought of a brilliant idea, let it loose into the world and hopes it will catch on.   I am very sure the Terrorists, Arsonists, and any self made Pyrotechnics will simply love this idea? 

So what controls will they put on this to prevent the inevitable - even implant it into your favourite fireworks and just ignite by mobile phone? 

The issues arising from this are mind boggling as you state - but say there is a shortage of homes, or you rent a house and overstay - what happens whilst you are out and come back to find someone triggered it?

What happens if you didn't pay the electricity bill, telephone bill - trigger the IoT?

Or the someone else's mobile phone triggered via a drive by? 

A entire street up in flames - the next Guy Fawkes? 

Surely there should be a health & safety precaution put on this idea?

Regards

Caute_cautim

rslade
Influencer II

OK, @AndreaMoore , what's with the direct censorship?  I mean, at one time you guys just "archived" posts that offended you, but now you are actually editting posts?

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@rslade    I don't know what Andrea stated to you, but given our previous conversations, the reality is that people are actually putting out new ideas, without fully exploring the implications.   Which we have seen on numerous occasions - after the fact.   They simply do not see the ramifications and some bad things could happen in reality.  Lots of brilliant people out there, focused on producing new ideas, but not thinking through the implications holistically - whereas the ideas they come up maybe suitable for certain job descriptions but certainly not for the general public.  

Regards

Caute_cautim

CraginS
Defender I

@rslade wrote:

OK, @AndreaMoore , what's with the direct censorship?  I mean, at one time you guys just "archived" posts that offended you, but now you are actually editting posts?

@Caute_cautim The core content is NOT what Grandpa Rob is referring to.

PR0N FILTER missed personal pleasure IOT reference 

PR0N FILTER

PR0N FILTER

there, I said it too!

(Yes, I read the original post prior to the edit)

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@CraginS   Understood.

Regards

Caute_cautim

dcontesti
Community Champion

@Caute_cautim @rslade 

So read Rob's original post on the CISSPforum.  I believe this was the offensive line:

"In terms of IoT devices, first I thought the net-enabled "personal device" was the stupidest idea
I heard of. Then there was the net-enabled sniper rifle."

I think @AndreaMoore is following corporate guidelines set out by others (at a higher pay grade) and probably should not be faulted.

I don't believe the word that Rob used was offensive.  As a matter of point, there is a town in Newfoundland with that exact name.  So if I wanted to send someone to the local brewery which is actually called by the town's name brewery, how would I do it?

I would like to suggest that the author of a post be consulted before "Major" editing happens.  My suggestion would be to quarantined the message or hide it, check with the author and then if there is agreement publish.

I would also ask that someone have a discussion with some of us on the Pr0n filter.

My nickel Canadian

d

Wayne_Evans
Newcomer III

Hi,

While I actually agree that this something that is pointless to a degree - I am not sure it is actually internet-connected. It looks like from my reading of the KS Page - to be Bluetooth only, which reduces the threat down quite a bit.

But the fundamental issue of having something being able to auto-ignite a potential fire hazard.

I admit, I perhaps wouldn't want one of these myself, but there could be in a controlled environment, practical usage for this type of thing, perhaps a model of the product for churches or other places of worship - the staff can light with one touch of an app.

Restaurants can remotely light a candle when they see a couple sit down.

Fake mediums can use it to "spooky" light a flame to signal that a ghost has arrived.  What I am saying, don't totally write off a product as stupid because you believe and fear that it could be remotely used by bad actors.  Not saying the threat isn't real or possible.  Perhaps, a better line of discussion would be as professionals.  

If a client did want to use these, how can we protect them? What cybersecurity measures can we use to ensure this product would be safe for people to use?

dcontesti
Community Champion

@Wayne_Evans wrote:

Fake mediums can use it to "spooky" light a flame to signal that a ghost has arrived.  What I am saying, don't totally write off a product as stupid because you believe and fear that it could be remotely used by bad actors.  Not saying the threat isn't real or possible.  Perhaps, a better line of discussion would be as professionals.  

Would never have thought of the fake mediums but yes that would be a good add to their already assorted tools that they use.

😉

jmikesmith
Newcomer III

@Caute_cautim wrote:

What happens if you didn't pay the electricity bill, telephone bill - trigger the IoT?

This made me wonder... what if you keep candles as backup lighting in case of power failure? If the power is off long enough for your phone to die, can you still light your smart candles? Can they work as "dumb" candles if needed?

Mike Smith