Apple announced that iOS 14.5 would protect users privacy by stopping tracking.
Facebook freaked out and said this would end advertising as we (or, at least, Facebook and it's sales of targetted consumer data) know it.
Now iOS 14.5 is out, and we've had a few days to see what might happen.
Turns out, nothing much.
First of all, this only affects users of the iPhone, and only those using certain apps. The big change is that users now have to specifically opt-in and allow apps to track them. And it turns out that a number of people who use those kinds of apps are willing to be tracked. 30%, overall. With significant differences by region and culture. 20% of those in the UK are willing to be tracked. In the US, where they still don't really have any privacy laws, 50% are willing to be tracked in order to get cat videos.
Also, advertisers already seem to be getting tired of paying for detailed consumer data. They seem to want to just stick to producing funny ads, and getting attention that way.
Apple is still making lots of money, even though they really aren't doing an awful lot to protect privacy (especially with their "differential privacy" push that didn't seem to do anything). [cough Airdrop]
Facebook is still making lots of money selling user data.
So, nothing much has changed.
@rsladeSo what is the answer to this issue? Just let it be and hope and pray?
Name and shame the vendors?
Information is money, enticing people to give away their valuable information, makes money, distributing it and allowing others to make money, just seems to carry on every day?
Is education, teaching young children from the age of Five the answer, but how many will have to be re-evaluated, and educated again and again, rather like security awareness programs.
@rslade This is all okay, for those who get vaccinated on time, and don't have to wait further and further down the line, as the goal posts keep moving.
There is no magic inoculation for careless behaviour.
The human condition, fails the memory and long term memory test regularly.