Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Access to your phone or Laptop delayed by enforcement having to obtain a warrent.

Hi All

Interesting development in the USA, https://www.zdnet.com/article/massachusetts-enforces-need-for-warrants-before-police-can-access-your...

What happens, if you want to catch a plane or have an urgent appointment - one could still be persuaded to let them have access for convenience sake in real circumstances.

I think most would have nothing to hide, so they would give them access anyhow?

Regards

Caute_cautim

5 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Very mixed emotions on this one. 

If I am a criminal and do not want to be found, the warrant might work in my favor, however if I am a victim of a crime, then the warrant could work against me.

I think it is a double edged sword but with all the privacy laws coming into play, it is understandable and probably get more muddled before it becomes clear.

IMHOO

d

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

I agree, we are very fast approaching a nexus, and we may not realise the consequences or the ramifications, before it already has too late.   Example British Army not recognising Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - for over 100 years, it took the USA to bring it to their attention despite ignoring it since WW1.  

Now they put it on the National Health Service as a responsibility.

Someone has to take responsibility for their actions some where.

Regards

Caute_cautim

dcontesti
Community Champion

So potentially an argument for security and privacy to finally become one?  Or talk to law makers and point out that there are laws on the books in such n such place and maybe instead of complicating the issue by changing definitions or titles, it might be time to re-use the work?

CraginS
Defender I

@Caute_cautim wrote:

happens, if you want to catch a plane or have an urgent appointment - one could still be persuaded to let them have access for convenience sake in real circumstances.

This situation is why I recommend traveling with a Chromebook, rather than a full-capability notebook or tablet. Before going through a travel boundary (national border or other), simply PowerWash the Chromebook, taking it back to naked new-off-the-shelf state. Once at your destination, sign into it with your Google account, and reload content as needed.

To protect your information, set up a remote access terminal on your personal computer back home, and use the Chromebook to open THAT desktop and actually operate all programs and store all data there, instead of on your travel computer.

If your company hosts a virtual desktop such as Citrix Server, it gets even better. The Citrix REceeiver plug-in for Chrome works great, even giving access to camera and microphone. Re-install that plug-in after resetting the Google account, and you have secure access to your company network.

Remember to PowerWash again before heading for home.

@Caute_cautim wrote:

I think most would have nothing to hide, so they would give them access anyhow?

Acceding to obtrusive privacy intrusion because you have "nothing to hide" is a sad act that contributes to improper privacy invasion by authorities, including governments, that do not deserve your trust. Remember, not all naiotnal governments operate on a standard level of ethics. Further, some of those governments use such intrusions to steal proprietary information. Don't let them do that.

Please, join and follow both EFF and EIPC for ongoing discussions on this topic.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
dcontesti
Community Champion

Agree, I always recommended folk take "clean" devices with them when traveling (even to Buffalo for the day).  

If there is nothing on it, there is nothing that can be used against you.