Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericgeater
Community Champion

First-time attendee questions

I'm looking at both the day and evening (social) agendas, I'm curious how folks are dressing?  I typically carry at least one blazer to trade shows, but somehow the vibe I'm getting suggests it may be unnecessary.

For the networking event on Wednesday, hate to say it, but I don't own a pair of cowboy boots.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
5 Replies
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Attendees' attire will vary but business casual is appropriate for sessions and casual attire is appropriate for evening events. Cowboy boots are not required.

ISC2 Community Manager
Budoka
Contributor II

Not answering the original poster's question but chuckled when I read this.

In Japan, "Business Casual" is a suit, and "Casual" is a suit without a tie. LOL.

If I had a dollar/yen for every time someone made the mistake of being underdressed because it was billed as "casual" LOL. I myself learned the hard way. Now when I travel for conferences I always bring a suit.

emb021
Advocate I

To add to the other comments.

At most security conferences I see:

polos and dress shirts with and without sports coats.  Usually khakis or dress pants.  I almost never see ties even with speakers.

More hackerish events t-shirts and shorts along with hoodies more prevail.   (various BSides conferences, Defcon et al).

Hope this helps

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@Budoka great point about cultural differences! 

Dress slacks/khakis and polo-type shirt or button up shirt (or a blouse) is great for sessions. If anyone is like me, I highly recommend bringing a sweater in case the AC is cold in the session rooms. For the evening, check the weather temperature but jeans and a nice shirt is fine. 

Definitely wear comfortable shoes!

Check out our Events Twitter https://twitter.com/ISC2Events to see photos from last year if you'd like and follow #ISC2Congress. 

ISC2 Community Manager
ericgeater
Community Champion

All very good points.  Thanks for the responses!

And @AndreaMoore is right about comfortable shoes, because the Opryland Hotel complex is big!  Plenty of places to walk around.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.