cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Powers to investigate the Dark Web - shine a light on the dark corners

Hi All

Does the FBI, CIA or other nations have the same mandates to shine lights within the Dark Web for investigative purposes?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/takeover-accounts-federal-police-to-get-powers-to-tackle-the...

Regards

Caute_Cautim

6 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

I think the true problem with the dark web is simply finding the true location of the site and then hoping it is in a place that will cooperate with the country trying to take the site down. This often take collaboration with multiple countries in order to follow things to the source and capture the operators.

John-

Beads
Advocate I

Outside of calling this a "puff piece" you need to be very careful of the attribution here, proving exactly where the hardware server really resides or you have no "light" to shine at all. Jurisdiction here can be very difficult to accurately nail down and the article comes across a bit flip as to say this is only something that the Australian's are looking into. 

Outside of showing where the physical server is and who has jurisdiction only complicates people's understanding of "the dark web" like its some forbidden Internet country surrounded by high walls and snipers ready to shoot should you get to close without the proper credentials.

Articles like this as well as many others coming out of Australia only make me more aware of how governments appear so out of control of everything but their own spin machines.

- b/eads

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Beads 

It definitely smacks of politics, I wonder whether they will be able to stop a auction on the Dark Web before a load of organisations IP is sold or databases or other information that has been captured?

I am very doubtful - they don't have the power to outlaw the Dark Web at the moment?

Regards

Caute_cautim

JKWiniger
Community Champion

Kroger is a prime example of security done wrong! If you use a VPN they do not allow you to access their site!

John-

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@betat59050  Why do you think this is a good idea, to gain fuel points?  It does not sound very ethical at all.

Who gains the most out of the survey?  OpenAI?  Microsoft?  or the New York Times?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Beads
Advocate I

Technically, we've been using so-called "Dark Web" legitimately since the turn of the century to not list certain B2C and B2B sites from search engine results. Today, since journalists and lay people have corrupted the term for marketing hype, it's become a constant source of rumor and gossip among the public. Hence, the follow-on term "Deep Web" which infers some sort of exotic or additional authentication. Even the FBI reports there are only 5000-5500 actual Deep or Dark websites of criminal intent out there.

So what's the latest gasp all about? We don't appear to be making any real headway on that, 5500 number yet all this hype only fuels people's imagination and lays blame on hosts and websites indiscriminately for doing what exactly?

Appears it's time to educate or reeducate a whole cohort as to what dark and deep web is all about.

- b/eads