Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rslade
Influencer II

CoVID and security awareness training

One of the security lessons from CoVID-19 that didn't make it into the book is in regard to security awareness training.

I have long been an advocate of education in general, and security awareness training in particular. A number of people say that security awareness training doesn't work. I maintain that security awareness training doesn't always work, but, in most cases, those who say it doesn't work really haven't actually tried doing it. It's hard to win an argument like that, since there is so little evidence one way or another.

Well, now we have evidence.

Many jurisdictions have tried various ways of controlling the pandemic. Some have lockdowns, some have enforced lockdowns, some have nothing, some have red zones, some have various types of orders to do or not do certain things. In BC we do have various health orders. But our chief medical health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, has constantly stressed the utility of education and support over shutdown orders or mask mandates. "The Dr. Bonnie Show (co-starring Adrian Dix)" used to be daily, although now it's down to twice a week. But every briefing our journalists in BC (proving how resistant they are to learning) ask a variation on the same question: "why aren't you more vicious in cracking down on/forbidding house parties, beach parties, people who don't wear masks, school re-openings, and other people who do things I don't like?" And every briefing Dr. Bonnie says the same thing: education is more effective and is working better than bullying. And she's actually doing the "awareness training" in regard to the pandemic.

In BC, we are doing OK. We aren't clear, by any means. We are undergoing a worrying surge in cases right now. (Two of my grandchildren are part of that surge, so, for me, it's very worrying. Although they do seem to be getting better.) We are doing better than Ontario and Quebec, even when adjusted by population. We are doing better than Alberta, which has a smaller population. We are doing better than the US. (Well, who isn't?) We aren't doing as well as New Zealand, but who is? We are doing better than Sweden, which seems to hurt my case, except that Martin seems to be indicating that Sweden's "education" seems to consist of "we are the government and know best, so do what we say."

As Dr. Bonnie says (pretty much every briefing, in response to the daily "viciousness" question), most of those in BC are trying to do the right thing. At the mall yesterday I saw a woman who had been sitting at a table wipe down, with a disinfecting wipe, the whole thing as she was leaving. She told me she always does. She also wasn't wearing a mask, although she was trying to keep distanced from people. So, no, awareness isn't perfect. But it does do something, and it does seem to be keeping our numbers lower than in other places. Without imposing complete lockdowns.

So, try some awareness training.

And wash your hands.

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
0 Replies