cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
N_Bakewell
Newcomer II

CMMC and International Business Units

Good morning all,

I have yet to find any clarifications from the CMMC-AB about how it will handle assessing US companies with international business units that take part in US DoD contracts (under ITAR agreements), when the enterprise network shares resources and systems across the globe.  My presumption would be that, if the offshore business unit touches CUI/FCI (which, if it is taking a part of a DoD contract, almost a definite), it falls under the umbrella of needing to be assessed, but part of that assessment is also* a physical on-site evaluation.  Has anyone heard anything to clarify this?

*This is actually a presumption as well, since the CMMC-AB has not specified.

6 Replies
rhall
Newcomer I

Hi @N_Bakewell,

The company I work for is outside the US and I've also not managed to find any publicly available clarifications regarding CMMC assessments so have recently been in touch with someone on the CMMC-AB industry working group, and they have advised on 10-Mar-2021 that at present:

(a) there are no immediate plans to authorise any non-US CMMC assessors. They would need to be trained by the CMMC-AB in the US and go through an assessment by the DCMA who are only just starting to assess the small group of US C3PAOs;

(b) there is no immediate need to have a CMMC assessment and none of the pilot programmes are likely to impact the international DIB. From December 2020 subcontractors with contracts containing DFARS 252.204-7012 have to submit their NIST 800-171 compliance results into SPRS.

The intention really is that as you say there is a move from self-assessments to third party audit but for non-US DIB subcontractors it could be some time yet before this will be enforced, they are focusing on a roll-out in the US first. For now for non-US entities the process remains self-assessment but with additional controls (NIST 800-171 R2), posting the results into SPRS which allocates a risk score, and I guess we have to 'watch-this-space' to find out when this changes, and in the meantime ensure the documentation and evidence of compliance is up to speed ready for when the time comes a full third party audit is required.

For non-US locations that belong to US-based entities you may have to prepare and show evidence of compliance from your non-US locations as part of your CMMC assessment when the time comes - though you could vastly simplify this be ensuring you limit the scope of systems and people that would have access to CUI/FCI, such as by only storing it on centralised infrastructure at your main US-based location and to control/limit remote access to it.

Hope this helps.

rhall
Newcomer I

Further to my previous reply, the CMMC Centre of Excellence (CoE) has partnered with CREST among a few other organisations, to manage the accreditation of organisations who provide CMMC certifications.

https://crest-approved.org/the-cybersecurity-maturity-model-certification-cmmc/index.html

At some point later this year we can probably expect to see CMMC listed in the 'Find a Supplier' section of their website under the heading 'Regulator and Government Schemes'.

https://service-selection-platform.crest-approved.org/

TXWayne
Newcomer II

This is not entirely correct, "to manage the accreditation of organisations who provide CMMC certifications."  The organizations that provide CMMC certifications are C3PAO's and only the CMMC AB manages the accreditation of those organizations in partnership with the DoD.

rhall
Newcomer I

Apologies to all, I'm not able to delete my above misinformed post so I'll add another to correct it - @TXWayne you are absolutely correct and I've jumped the gun here - the CREST announcement is misleading but you are right, only the CMMC AB manages the accreditation and at present they don't intend to delegate this to third parties outside the U.S. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, I continue to watch this space.

franklim1990
Newcomer II

CUI training speaks about the classification more clearly and how the laws specifically dictate what is and isn't CUI. Our C3pAO's are under the direction of top-level DOD contractors like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, or agencies like DARPA... whom are collaborating to achieve their priorities and leading these brigades to fit their specific needs as well as the general defense of our nation and others.

The general gist of the model is that its applicable universally by not over engaging in procedures, which in my eyes means that clearance and lead way would be a priority above universal templating. This agenda will trickle down from the top by preestablished communication methods and enforced with threats of loss of business. Although this agenda seems tactical is more business oriented and less invasive than needed for a thorough evaluation. 220,000 DOD contractors or subcontractors is a big number and 30,000 open jobs to accomplish this task is also a big number. Training, professionalism, ethics, and clearance are what's needed rather than cutting yellow tape. This is business.

I think this is a great opportunity to collect CCE Common Configuration Enumeration data.

franklim1990
Newcomer II

I would disagree with your earlier statement about subcontractor over seas.. Quality alone allows the need for assessment. Any DOD subcontractor that is struggling to provide good service or high quality materials are likely to be assessed sooner than later.