Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

A Primer on US Classification & Access Controls

The redacted US Department of Justice document released on August 26, 2022;

Case 9:22-mj-08332-BER Document 102-1 Entered on FLSD Docket 08/26/2022

provides a great primer to the way the US system of national security classifications (Confidential, Secret, Top Secret) and access controls work.

I highly recommend downloading the document to read the section STATUTORY AUTHORITY AND DEFINITIONS paragraphs 8-23, starting on page 3.

Even if you have a clearance and have handled classified information, you may not be aware of the details described there and the impact of controlled access programs for Secure Compartmented Information (SCI). 

The document cites Executive Order 13526, Classified National Security Information, as signed by President Obama in 2009. I recommend you grab this EO, too, to add to your quick education on the subject.

Please do not launch into any of the current political issues surrounding this affidavit; this community forum is not the place for that discussion. I just note that the cited section is a pretty good source for an introduction to the topic of handling classified information under the US national security requirements, an essential knowledge for working information security for the US government.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
0 Replies