Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morshed
Viewer

University Job Experiences

Hi, I am planning to start the preparation for the CISSP exam. I have six years of work experience at the university level (Lecture and Assistant Professor) in the Computer department. In both cases, the job was full time and paid job. Moreover, I conducted the courses that are mostly related to Cybsersecurity, Computer Networking, Network Security and Cryptography. Can I show the experiences of these two jobs for my CISSP exam?

6 Replies
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

You can probably use your work experience for your endorsement, as it's likely to be relevant to the CBKs for the CISSP.  Studying for the exam is about learning the CBKs though, which given your background shouldn't prove too difficult.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
ericgeater
Community Champion

You might consider approaching some of your colleagues for a recommendation upon passing, too.

I passed the exam while working for a company that was aware of my security-related responsibilities, but the company largely didn't necessarily grok the importance of cybersecurity.  Still, their letter was submitted to (ISC)2 and informed my eventual endorsement.

Endorsement | Online Endorsement Application | (ISC)² (isc2.org)

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
Morshed
Viewer

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Is there any option to confirm it before the exam? Or, after the exam, I should start the endorsement process?

ericgeater
Community Champion

After would be just fine.  You've got an exam to study for first!  😄

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
CraginS
Defender I

@Morshed wrote:

Hi, I am planning to start the preparation for the CISSP exam. I have six years of work experience at the university level (Lecture and Assistant Professor) in the Computer department. In both cases, the job was full time and paid job. Moreover, I conducted the courses that are mostly related to Cybsersecurity, Computer Networking, Network Security and Cryptography. Can I show the experiences of these two jobs for my CISSP exam?

You do not need to show any experience to sit for the exam. However, you do need to show experience once you have passed the exam to apply for either certification or for Associate status. I'd say yes, teaching those course for several years would certainly count toward the experience requirement for full certification. Clearly show that experience in your certification application resume, and if at all possible have a CISSP who knows you personally as your endorser. In this situation it is likely you have multiple students who are certified and any of them could endorse your applicant for CISSP.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Gagz
Viewer II

Hi,

Were you able to get this experience counted towards the experience requirements? I've in the same situation. Thanks