cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SalFroncillo
Viewer

Requirements evaluation CISSP

Morning Guys, 

I'm a little bit confused from the requirements to apply to CISSP exams. 

Reading about I found out that a degree can replace the job experience. 

Here is my situation:

• I have 4 months of internship in SOC field.
  • I have a bacherol degree in computer science
  • I'm completing my master degree in Cyber Security.

Do you think I could ask to achieve the CISSP or I should wait the end of my master degree?

Thanks in advance for the help

1 Reply
CraginS
Defender I

@SalFroncillo wrote:

Morning Guys, 

I'm a little bit confused from the requirements to apply to CISSP exams. 

Reading about I found out that a degree can replace the job experience. 

Here is my situation:

• I have 4 months of internship in SOC field.
  • I have a bacherol degree in computer science
  • I'm completing my master degree in Cyber Security.

Do you think I could ask to achieve the CISSP or I should wait the end of my master degree?

Thanks in advance for the help

Salvatore,

Please go read the complete requirements for certification. While you can certainly take the exam any time, certification after passing it also requires five years of relevant experience. A formal four-year degree in an appropriate field (your bachelor's in computer science meets  the requirement) can cover only one of those years. Thus, unless you have other full time work experience not mentioned above, you still need almost four years of full time work experience to achieve certification. 

While (ISC)2 wants you to test right away to gain Associate of (ISC)2 status and begin paying them money, my advice is to concentrate on your master's program, and worry about the CISSP after you are in the full time workforce. In the meantime. stay active in this Community, and also seek out other professional societies to engage with, such as ISSA, OWASP, and others. Also, keep an eye on SANS offerings, which are often better hands-on learning experiences than academic course.

Good Luck!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts