Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Budoka
Contributor II

Non ISC2 certifications

I just got my CISSP this year and it was my intention to take advantage of my study momentum and do the CCSP. But quickly realized I need a mental break. LOL

I am considering taking the ISO/IEC 20000 and 27001 exams just to have a short break before kicking it into gear for the CCSP again.

I see EXIN does the Foundation exams/cert but I am not familiar with them and I can’t find a lot through normal internet search. Are they reputable and do these individual certs have any real value in our industry? I am pretty well versed in both ISO standards but would like to attach a piece of paper that says so as well.

I also noticed there is NCSP and NCSS for NIST 800?

4 Replies
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

Time for some unsolicited life advice lol.

It's best to start with the Result / Goal in mind when determining decisions like this. I'm sure (ISC)2 or another certifying body would be more than happy to take your money but slow down and really think about it for a few.

Passing the CISSP exam is a strategy towards a goal, the certification should not be the goal itself. Why did you get the CISSP in the first place? Keep asking yourself, "Why?" to help get the the root (overall larger) goal. 

I'm not here to judge if you just want the piece of paper.

Budoka
Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback. For what it is worth I am an "old-timer" and with a few exceptions, IT professionals from my generation could have cared less about certs or put much stock in them. I only took the CISSP to appease the concerns of one particular client. The cert market seems to have really blown up in the past two decades or so.

Having said that, you make valid points but what I was trying to find out at was 1) If EXIN is reputable and known in the industry? and 2) If EXIN's ISO/IEC certs are respected or just fluff?

I have time to burn right now during the pandemic so figured "Why not?" but am on the fence.
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@Budoka wrote:

Having said that, you make valid points but what I was trying to find out at was 1) If EXIN is reputable and known in the industry? and 2) If EXIN's ISO/IEC certs are respected or just fluff?

I have time to burn right now during the pandemic so figured "Why not?" but am on the fence.

I didn't find anything key word related on Indeed, Dice, or on LinkedIn. I don't know if they are fluff or just not very well known but jobs on those sites didn't reference it anywhere as a 'good to have' or 'required' cert.

Budoka
Contributor II

Thanks. Much appreciated.