Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dster2029
Newcomer I

Logical Operators

I’m looking at the Logical Operators part of the Sybex book (which I know people say is not the best source of information). I saw that they refer to ~ as NOT, v as OR, ^ as AND, ⊕ as XOR. Is this correct? Every other source (including old CS notes) seem to say that ^ is XOR and that v does not exist in this context. Is this correct and something I need to “unlearn” or is it Sybex being strange? Any help would be gratefully received as this is confusing me a fair bit.
2 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

There are a few different conventions, with the Sybex ones being an "almost" match to Mathematical Logical Operators.  More common in computing environments is to use the C Logical Operators

The fact that different authors uses different symbol sets is confusing, but the symbols are not the important part. The underlying way that the operators are used tends to be much more consistent.  Your focus should be on understanding what the words mean.  For example, how does "exclusive or" differ from both "and" and "or"?  

Keep in mind that the CISSP is a  "Mid-Career" management-level certification.   You unlikely to find trivia questions on it. The things that matter are knowledge, experience and your ability to apply both. 

Dster2029
Newcomer I

Thank you! You’re right that link is pretty similar to what Sybex suggested. I’m glad to know that there’s some consistency with this from other sources and hopefully any questions in the exam about this will be straightforward 😊