cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CISSP_2021
Newcomer I

How to prove my IAT III level - Help Request

Hi all,

Not sure if this belonged in Exams or Career, so please feel free to move it as you wish.

My question is when do I get credit for IAT III? Is it after I pass the exam or 4-6 weeks after?

Reason being is my company offered me a raise once I obtain an IAT III level certification. They will not back pay me, and I'd rather see this raise sooner than later.

I have the work experience as well as a current CISSP to endorse me and will finish my application tonight, but will still need to wait however long before verification.

Is there any way for me to prove that I've passed this exam to have this IAT III accreditation or am I screwed until the results come through?

My company raised questions about my initial passing paperwork and email saying 'provisionally passed', so looking for a way to inform them of this formal process ICS2 does before becoming a member.

Thank you in advance!

4 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

You need to be officially recognised as holding either CISSP or Associate status for IAT III which means you need to have completed the endorsement process.

The fastest way to IAT III would have been to opt for Associate status when you booked the exam. After you passed, instead of the official results email inviting you to apply for endorsement, it would have just asked you to pay the Associate fee. After you pay it you would be an Associate and at IAT III. You could then go through the CISSP endorsement process at your leisure albeit needing to abide by the conditions related to the Associate programme.

As far as I'm aware, even if you opt for Associate status now it will go into the same queue as if you opt for CISSP status (or more correctly put Member status) so I don't believe going for Associate now will be faster than going for CISSP - especially if you do have an endorser as well as the required experience.

Therefore, it's just a question of getting your application in ASAP and then waiting for it to be processed and approved. Last I heard there was around a 4 week turnaround, but this is very fluid and depends on how many others are in the queue before you - ISC2 usually state 4-6 weeks, but it can sometimes be less and sometimes be more.

As to your company questioning your provisional results: https://www.isc2.org/Exams/After-Your-Exam

All correspondence you receive will say provisional pass until after you complete the endorsement process.

CISSP_2021
Newcomer I

Alec,

Thank you very much for the response! I didn't exactly think it through since I had the experience, but I also didn't think my company would give me such a hard time haha.

Although it's too late for me, hopefully it serves purpose for those in the future.

Thank you again and take care.

CraginS
Defender I

@CISSP_2021 wrote:

My question is when do I get credit for IAT III? Is it after I pass the exam or 4-6 weeks after?

Reason being is my company offered me a raise once I obtain an IAT III level certification. They will not back pay me, and I'd rather see this raise sooner than later.

I have the work experience as well as a current CISSP to endorse me and will finish my application tonight, but will still need to wait however long before verification.

Orland,

You already have your answer, but allow me to fill in missing information for folks who feel as if they walked into the middle of a conversation; they did.

Orland has referred to IAT III, which is one of the cyber worker types (Information Assurance Technology) and levels (III) in the US Department of Defense Cyber Workforce Management Program, commonly referred to as DoD 8570.* You can see the table of worker types and levels, along with the qualifying certifications for each, at DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications.

Orland actually answered his own question in the first post: You qualify for a Cyber Workforce IAT III when you  "obtain an IAT III level certification," not when you are in the process to become certified, such as having only passed an exam.  Orland went on to note he has passed the exam but has not yet even applied for certification. 

Another tidbit to understand: An individual worker is not an IAT III; that designation refers to the job or position, not the person holding the position. The table above shows the certifications someone must hold to qualify to hold that position. 

* Funny thing about the name DOD 8570. The name comes from the number of the 2004 DOD manual, DOD 8570M, that when published originally established the information assurance workforce program.  Since then that governing document has been renamed and renumbered (8140), and DOD changed the primary term from information assurance to cybersecurity. Yet, the term 8570 has persisted as the shorthand designation for the overall program. 

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
CISSP_2021
Newcomer I

Craig,

Thank you for the extra tidbits! Although I may be at a loss now, it will be well worth it when I'm endorsed and a member of the community!