Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor III

Re: Does Adaptive Exam Devalue the CISSP?

@dreastans;

I finished the Security+ in 32 minutes and the long form CISSP in 95 minutes. Neither of which struck me as being difficult exams to pass. The caveat here is that I had many years of experience under my belt before I even bothered with the certifications.

In a word: meh. Though I do enjoy the complaints from people who should have never taken the exam as being "too hard" or the guy who compared taking the exam to "male child birth", whatever that means but its always stuck with me.

I have passed all kinds of exams to include some 40 IT and InfoSec exams, working on number 41, only failing one (NT 3.51 Workstation) back in the day and it was adaptive.

Suspect those who had to travel to the exam, stay overnight and sit for the exam with other test takers long for the more ceremonial, long form as we had to invest so much into it. Taking the exam back then meant having to invest a considerable amount of time and effort to be somewhere on a certain weekend, limited availability, often traveling  hundreds of miles hoping you'd pass. Wait six weeks to see the results and framing your ISC(2) CISSP pencil in the same frame as your certificate. Today you can schedule the exam once a month until you pass, immediately get the results and your all but a newly minted CISSP. Not much nostalgia to it.

For those of you who took the exam 15 years ago, keep in mind that the pass rate was very low - 20 percent or so? Today its much higher so yes in many ways the exam is easier but not because of CAT but due to the number and quality of the training materials available. Go out to Amazon and search for CISSP and you will see what I mean. Fifteen years ago you sat through a Shon Harris class and digested that tome of a book. No, not an easy task.

Now imagine me on my porch screaming: "You young whippersnappers don't know how good you have it! Books, materials and YouTube videos practically spoon feed the material to ya! Why back in my day we had to read InfoSec materials on clay tablets and share documents on 300 baud modems to get anything done! Now, get off my lawn!"

Its different and yes I suspect we have more people passing the exam on regular basis than in the past.

- b/eads