Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thembalethu
Newcomer I

Denied entry for CISSP exam

I have been denied entry and I could not take my CISSP exam because my middle name was duplicate on the Pearsonvue portal. however, it appears on my government card the only difference is they had my middle name appearing twice. this has been the most frustrating day ever and ISC2 is not really assisting me with this I have opened a case with Pearson Vue and according to them, they cannot update my details on their end . This is really ridiculous.

10 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

(ISC)² publishes their Name Matching Policy, which does state that corrections need to be made through (ISC)², not PearsonVue.  

As you get this corrected, also verify that you have the same member number at both PersonVue and (ISC)².  If those do not agree, it will seriously delay getting your results officially reported.

Even though the policy only requires first and last name to match, I do recommend that you get them to update your registered name to exactly match the ID that you intend to present, including the middle name, any suffixes (e.g. jr) and any unusual capitalization.  This is the best way of avoiding that particular bit of stress while walking into a significant exam.

Anymore, name matching is also important in my country for air travel and anything financial.  And Lord help you if your birth certificate, passport and drivers license have the slightest variation from each other (been there; was not pretty).

Thembalethu
Newcomer I

thanks for the response the unfortunate part is I am not getting any response from ISC2 I spoke to Patricia White and she requested my ID which I am emailed but there was no feedback. What really annoys me is that I have lost money and no one is willing to help 

denbesten
Community Champion

Call them on the phone during their US business hours.  There is nothing like actually talking to a human to get problems resolved.  True everywhere, not just with (ISC)²

Thembalethu
Newcomer I

I will definitely do that thanks my brother is really made me feel better after seeing your response I almost lost my mind over this 

CraginS
Defender I

@denbesten wrote:

Anymore, name matching is also important in my country for air travel and anything financial.  And Lord help you if your birth certificate, passport and drivers license have the slightest variation from each other (been there; was not pretty).

Yes, I recently had difficulty linking accounts at two different financial companies because my name as owner on one included my generational Jr. and the other did not. 

The other detail to consider is whether a document shows middle initial or full middle name.

This also relates to controversies following the 2020 USA national election, in which mailed-in legitimate absentee ballots may have been rejected because untrained election workers may have declared signature mis-matches based on middle initial versus middle name or generational indicators present or not.

Bringing this topic fully into the cybersecurity arena, consider the implications when verifying identities and validating credentials in your Identity & Access Management (IDAM) systems and procedures.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
denbesten
Community Champion

Drifting into cybersecurity, the fundamental flaw is that a person's name a poor identifier because it is not unique.  This was recognized at the dawn of data-processing, when "account numbers" were created. 

In @CraginS's case, the bank would be much better served by verifying that the two accounts have a common SSN. They have legitimate right to that particular piece of PII and using it for purposes of account merging seems reasonable, given that the need to validate the tax-reporting implications.  

In @Thembalethu's case, (ISC)²/PersonVue's goal of ensuring the same ID is used both for registration and examination would be better served by leveraging a piece of unique data, such as the License/ID number.

And when it comes to national election security, signatures make a very poor authenticator for that same reasons that names are a poor identifier.  Signatures are not consistent over time, are relatively easily forged, and (as Craig said), require a trained eye to validate.

The cybersecurity relevant part of the Voter-ID movement is that it basically strives to change authentication from "something you know" (how to form your signature) to "something you have" (your ID card).  

Thembalethu
Newcomer I

True

but try telling that to PearsonVue 

ToniHahn
Contributor I

Did you ever get this taken care of? Please let me know because if not, I can help get you in front of the right person. Thanks
Tabbu
Newcomer I

I emailed her too.
Didn't receive any reply yet.